Don Q (1925)

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
Donald Binks

Don Q (1925)

Unread post by Donald Binks » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:06 am

Apparently Danish composer Jacob Gade composed the famous Tango Tzigane "Jalousie" for the Douglas Fairbanks picture "Don Q".

I had a look on You Tube to see if there was a scene from the picture showing where this music was utilised but I found most references to "Don Q" were for a "wrap artist"?

If anyone knows where the music was used in the film, I should be much obliged as it is bugging me. :)
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Rodney

Re: Don Q (1925)

Unread post by Rodney » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:27 pm

I would be surprised if there is any record of what Jacob Gade’s score was for Don Q. These things rarely survive, because the compilation score would be sorted back into the files for future use.

I have played a mostly improvised score for this film. I avoided using the opening part of Jalousie, just because it’s well-known and therefore distracting. I used the major-key part as a love theme, putting it in when ever it fit (the love scenes!), and I thought it worked quite well. Someone did come up and ask me what the piece was afterwards, because it was nagging them, so in some ways it was a failure.

I say try it out!

I have a book of Jacob Gade photoplay music for piano, but it doesn’t include Jalousie.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:38 pm

The Wikipedia entry on Jalousie is quite well sourced. It cites an article on Gade's official website (https://www.tangojalousie.dk/index.php?id=2&page=main) which clarifies that while the song was not inspired by or written specifically for Don Q, it was first played in public at the Danish premiere of the film, both as part of the accompaniment and as intermission music.

I have a copy of the sheet music from, I think, 1926. It makes no reference to the film, and was definitely not produced as a tie-in.

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks Rodney and Brooksie!

I have to stop reading about things and finding out interesting facts, which then intrigue me - and I have to know all about it!

(I have an old LP gramophone recording made in 1958 featuring the "Orchestra de Granados" doing a version of it, and it is one of my favourites.)
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."