Microsoft eBook Retreat

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
veets

Microsoft eBook Retreat

Unread post by veets » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:50 pm

Please forgive me if this post is not appropriate for this board.

I'm often asked by friends why I continue to purchase Blu-rays, DVDs and CDs. I explain that I believe the quality is higher than streaming but also that I prefer to own the media rather than license the content. This news about Microsoft's decision to close the book section of its online store helps prove my point:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... oft-store/

People who purchased materials from this store lose their access sometime in early July. To be clear, they aren't just losing access to the store but also to materials they purchased (a refund will be provided) and materials they acquired gratis.

MoviecollectorOH

Re: Microsoft eBook Retreat

Unread post by MoviecollectorOH » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:41 pm

As long as you have it (whatever it may be) in your hot little hands. That is basically what I gauge it by. The "cloud" is just vapor. Youtube, Netflix, Amazon streaming, etc, just more vapor. It is not in your control to preserve for yourself - unless you save it offline for yourself.

The methods may vary, i.e. I have been recording more things offline to HDD, but I completely agree.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:50 am

Ultraviolet is also closing. I never purchased anything from them, but got free digital copies when I bought BluRay disks. It is closing down July 31st. The FAQ page seems to imply that access to films you own might continue directly from Fandango or Vudo. It was not as easy as purchasing a digital movie or TV show from the ITunes store.

SilentsPlease

Unread post by SilentsPlease » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:08 am

Some e-books have "DRM" and some don't, and same with music. Most MP3 music you buy from iTunes or Amazon doesn't have DRM and you own it forever. You can copy the MP3 from device to device and don't have to worry about it not working, ever. Some ebooks from Kindle are also DRM-free, and if you save the copes, you keep them for good.

But some books are not DRM-free, mostly in the rental business such as books lent by libraries. Those books will "time out" on you when the rental expires, or simply won't work if you try to copy them to unauthorized devices.

Yes, DRM can be removed if the original publisher chooses to. I've seen this done most often in video games when a publisher deems a game too old to be sellable and removes the DRM (less management for the publisher).

But sadly, in many cases, DRM is removed because a pirate has removed it and uploaded it to the Internet. Many believe that if DRM is so easily breakable, it shouldn't be used in the first place.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Can we say DRM is the streaming equivalent of a hospital's DNR?

Jim