TNT (the old TNT) and me

Open, general discussion of old-time radio and early television
bradleyem

TNT (the old TNT) and me

Unread post by bradleyem » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:22 pm

This week marks the 30th anniversary of the debut of Turner Network Television (TNT), which exposed millions of film watchers to hundreds of out-of-the-vault rarities. Remember? I've written a personal account at earlysoundguy.com.
https://earlysoundguy.com/2018/10/01/tnt-and-me/

Dean Thompson

Re: TNT (the old TNT) and me

Unread post by Dean Thompson » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:23 pm

Lovely and nostalgic personal account, Bradley, especially your thoughts as you rocked your first son. Though it cost me many hours of sleep, I'll always be grateful to TNT for introducing me to Public Enemy and Grand Hotel, still two of my favorite guilty pleasures.

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:27 pm

I recall it well...

I believe one of the first films run was ARSENE LUPIN? (And I think I rushed home from doing extra work on GHOSTBUSTERS II to record it.)

Having to pause out the commercials was annoying; but the great prints made it very worthwhile!

- Craig

radiotelefonia

Unread post by radiotelefonia » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:23 pm

I remember its Latin American version, before it switched into a mediocre and unremarkable channel. I saw many MGM and Warners classics there in better presentations than in the Argentine broadcast stations.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:24 am

Ted Turner has recently been diagnosed with Lew body dementia.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/ted-tu ... 202961296/

radiotelefonia

Unread post by radiotelefonia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:52 pm

A Latin American TNT commercial break with internal promos only recorded in Argentina. Since this was a panregional signal, titles constantly switch from Spanish to Portuguese for Brazilian audiences (the signal offered three soundtrack options). This was at the time of Mother's Day. I don't know if there was an English language counterpart.

radiotelefonia

Unread post by radiotelefonia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:07 pm

Another old TNT Latin America commercial brake featuring internal promos only, from 1993.

bradleyem

Unread post by bradleyem » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:51 pm

wich2 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:27 pm
I recall it well...

I believe one of the first films run was ARSENE LUPIN? (And I think I rushed home from doing extra work on GHOSTBUSTERS II to record it.)

Having to pause out the commercials was annoying; but the great prints made it very worthwhile!

- Craig
You had to develop a certain knack to edit out the commercials well; it mainly had to do with knowing how quickly your pause and play buttons on your VCR remote worked after you made contact with them. Oh, for the old days!

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:23 am

Someone famous died recently from Lew body dementia. Does anyone remember who it was? I've been racking my brains trying to remember.

(Insert appropriate joke here.)

Seriously ... was it an athlete, or a performer?

Apparently poor Tim Conway is totally incapacitated by Alzheimer's, too. Messy court battle over his care between his family and his last wife/companion.

Jim

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:20 am

bradleyem wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:51 pm
wich2 wrote:

- Craig
You had to develop a certain knack to edit out the commercials well; it mainly had to do with knowing how quickly your pause and play buttons on your VCR remote worked after you made contact with them. Oh, for the old days!
Yep. And each machine was different... Lots of frustrating trial-and-error.

It got a little easlier, when I got an S-VHS machine with jog-and-shuttle.

radiotelefonia

Unread post by radiotelefonia » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Commercial brakes from October 1994, recorded in Chile, during a presentation of PSYCHO. The channel only had internal promos, many of which feature clips computer colorized versions.

radiotelefonia

Unread post by radiotelefonia » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Commercial brakes from August, 1994, recorded in Chile. It is interesting to actually see one commercial from before they changed by country.

Dean Thompson

Unread post by Dean Thompson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:24 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:23 am
Someone famous died recently from Lew body dementia. Does anyone remember who it was? I've been racking my brains trying to remember.

Seriously ... was it an athlete, or a performer?

Jim

Jim, you may be thinking of Dina Merrill, who died in May of 2017 after suffering from LBD for many years.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:33 pm

Robin Williams.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Scott Eckhardt

Unread post by Scott Eckhardt » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:48 pm

wich2 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:20 am
bradleyem wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:51 pm
wich2 wrote:

- Craig
Yep. And each machine was different... Lots of frustrating trial-and-error.

It got a little easlier, when I got an S-VHS machine with jog-and-shuttle.
I got to be pretty good at editing commercials when recording on my Sanyo Betacord, which was my second beta machine. I finally bought a vhs machine at Zayre's. This was a GoldStar machine which carried Zayre's house brand name Randix. This machine had "backspace editing." That is, when you hit the key, it would back up a few fractions to compensate for hitting the key late. I tested the machine by editing an episode of DYNASTY. When I played it back, the opening credits and the end of every scene was cut off. I had to learn to wait about 2 seconds before hitting the pause.

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:59 am

What a difference it made getting a hi-fi VCR with a flying erase head. Much cleaner edits at commercial breaks!
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

dr.giraud

Unread post by dr.giraud » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:06 pm

The old TNT was great. All those movies I'd had to stay up half the night to see, broadcast during daylight hours--I took a day off work to watch a Busby Berkeley marathon, for example. Then I'd stay up half the night anyway to watch obscure early talkies that hadn't been in circulation for years.

When Turner Classic Movies came along, it was annoying because there was a gap of a few years between TNT no longer showing the classics and my cable system adding TCM.
dr. giraud