Elizabeth & Essex: new restoration!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
brendangcarroll

Elizabeth & Essex: new restoration!

Unread post by brendangcarroll » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:28 am

At last, my prayers are answered....!

A few months ago, friends in Hollywood who are close to the Warner Bros Archive Collection advised me that a long awaited 4k HD restoration of this famous film was in the works and this is now confirmed for a May release on Blu-ray. Hooray!

I can finally throw the vile 2005 DVD away!

A clip of the new print is already up on Youtube (link below) and it looks fabulous.

https://youtu.be/B_2345Prc54

Happy days!
Last edited by silentfilm on Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube link
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

earlytalkiebuffRob

Re: Elizabeth & Essex: new restoration!

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:50 am

Looks nice and sharp. Not seen the film for a long time, perhaps on TNT, although when I ran a shop, I think I've ordered / sold copies of the older DVD without complaint...

Not played my copy of E&E, but if you want a really grotty DVD of a Curtiz film, look no further than the PD copies of THIS IS THE ARMY. It wasn't 'til after I'd found a copy that I realised that its PD status meant that the market was flooded with truly horrible DVDs. Couldn't watch more than a few minutes, it was such a travesty.
Last edited by earlytalkiebuffRob on Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frame Rate

Unread post by Frame Rate » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:10 pm

brendangcarroll wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:28 am
A few months ago, friends in Hollywood who are close to the Warner Bros Archive Collection advised me that a long awaited 4k HD restoration of this famous film was in the works...
Please contact those friends again, and ask about all those WB/FN/MGM silents, still languishing on archive shelves, that the WB Archive Collection could be releasing -- but seemingly never will. :evil:
If only our opinions were as variable as the pre-talkie cranking speed...

robertelee

Unread post by robertelee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:11 pm

On the latest podcast they said “there is a plan” regarding The Crowd and The Wind. They’ve been saying it for years though, so I don’t know.

Ray Faiola

Unread post by Ray Faiola » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:02 pm

I will never forget watching Bette Davis on THE TONIGHT SHOW talk about how much she objected to working with Errol Flynn and what a hard time she gave him. Then, years later she and Olivia screened the film and Davis realized what a wonderful actor Flynn was and that she wished he were still around so she could tell him so.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Richard P. May

Unread post by Richard P. May » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:38 am

In about 1986, just after Turner acquired the MGM/WB libraries, this was the first Technicolor feature that we commissioned for preservation. UA held the pre-1950 Warner films up to that time, and Eliz & Essex had never been transferred from 3-strip negative to recombined color film stock. The work was done at the now long-gone MetroColor laboratory.
It looked very good for its time, and I'm sure this new transfer, some 35 years later, must be splendid.
Dick May

FancyJimSherwood

Unread post by FancyJimSherwood » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:53 am

It looks stunning.

This movie has always had a special place in my heart as Flynn has always been my favourite movie star and Alan Hale's character, my favourite historical figure. My bookshelves have a disproportionate amount of books about these two men.

I've spent years writing an article about this movie which I just never get around to finishing. I would like to have contributed an extra to this Blu Ray release!

Filmtastic

Unread post by Filmtastic » Sun May 02, 2021 11:02 am

Mr May

Thank you for the work you have done to save our film history!

Hope Warners restores Northwest Passage - King Vidor's stunning adventure and great color work, this classic is kind of shoddy now - needs to be released on blu in glorious restoration! Does the original camera negs exist???????

Richard P. May

Unread post by Richard P. May » Mon May 03, 2021 8:31 am

To Filmtastic -- thanks for the compliment re my participation in film restoration. It was a wonderful 25+ years of work. As to NORTHWEST PASSAGE, film preservation was done back in the Turner days, but since I'm not involved in what WB is doing, it's not up to me to comment on their plans. I hope the responsible people there read your remarks.
Dick May

Filmtastic

Unread post by Filmtastic » Mon May 03, 2021 5:09 pm

Thank you Mr. May! I had the honor of interviewing you years ago! On Northwest Passage I was wondering if the original nitrate negs exist! It is such a GREAT film!!!! Again thanks for the reply!