STILL NUMBER ONE

Posts of a primarily image-based nature including galleries, ID requests, etc.
daveboz

STILL NUMBER ONE

Unread post by daveboz » Sat May 01, 2021 11:08 pm

The subject heading refers not to this web site (though it’s true) but to the first "still" photograph made when a film starts production. Inasmuch as the still numbering is chronological, one can follow the entire production history of a motion picture.

These are "scene stills"; publicity stills for the same film will have different prefixes. This number is generally found in the lower right-hand corner of the still. The capital letters (or Production Number) indicate the film’s title, while the following number...you get the idea.

So just fer laffs, here are the initial still photographs from three films of the 30s; all are from the Net, and have been edited (by me) for clarity. Feel free to contribute other examples, or to improve upon these efforts.

The first still is labelled "TG-1", although the film was released as THE STRANGE LOVE OF MOLLY LOUVAIN [1932]. "TG" refers to TINSEL GIRL, the play by Maurine Dallas Watkins that was the film’s source material. Obviously, production started under the original title. Here we have Richard Cromwell rendered unto stone by Ann Dvorak.

Next, CAPTAIN BLOOD [1935]; a still issued for the 1951 re-release. Errol Flynn and Cora Witherspoon. Numbered "CB-1".

And last: BLONDE VENUS [1932], with Dickie Moore and Marlene Dietrich. Numbered "1385-1". (Paramount production number.)

yer pal Dave

silentfilm

Re: STILL NUMBER ONE

Unread post by silentfilm » Sun May 02, 2021 1:50 pm

Alice Joyce in Dancing Mothers (1926), code 905-1

Frank Losse, Josephine Whittell, Alice Brady, and Gladys Valerie in Marie Ltd. (1919), code S25-1

Enid Bennett in The Haunted Bedroom (1919), code TI 44-1 (Thomas Ince/Paramount)

alicefaye

Unread post by alicefaye » Sun May 02, 2021 4:23 pm

daveboz wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:08 pm
So just fer laffs, here are the initial still photographs from three films of the 30s; all are from the Net, and have been edited (by me) for clarity. Feel free to contribute other examples, or to improve upon these efforts.
Just so you're aware, I'm not able to load these images or your website as a whole. First my browser got very upset with me because your site has an outdated digital certificate, or something along those lines, and then when I managed to scramble past all of that, I received a "site not found" error from DreamHost. I hope it's not too much of a pesky issue to solve on your end.
Our story has nothing to do with the present.

"Leonora, I am losing my mind!"

daveboz

Unread post by daveboz » Sun May 02, 2021 5:27 pm

Thanks, Alice! Will look into this matter forthwith! (Anyone else with this problem?)
yer pal Dave

Salty Dog

Unread post by Salty Dog » Sun May 02, 2021 6:34 pm

Looks fine on my computer. BTW, I am using Firefox on a Windows computer.
Bill Coleman

R Michael Pyle

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Mon May 03, 2021 7:07 am

Yes, me.

alicefaye

Unread post by alicefaye » Mon May 03, 2021 8:52 am

daveboz wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:27 pm
Thanks, Alice! Will look into this matter forthwith! (Anyone else with this problem?)
Would like to update you - I used my phone to access your website and it's working perfectly there. So apologies for misleading! My computer, while relatively new, seems to get cranky about certain things at times :lol:
Our story has nothing to do with the present.

"Leonora, I am losing my mind!"