Ep. 28: Movies of the Teens • Buster Keaton Convention • 60s Drive-In Stars

Show posts and discussion about NitrateVille's classic movie podcast
Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Ep. 28: Movies of the Teens • Buster Keaton Convention • 60s Drive-In Stars

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:05 am

NitrateVille Radio Episode 28: Movies of the Teens • Buster Keaton Convention • 60s Drive-In Stars

There's nothing better to do in the summertime than go to the movies. And all of the segments in this episode have to do with going to the movies... or staying out of theaters because it's too hot! (74:31)

Image Image

First, two recent Kickstarter projects (backed by many NitrateVillains) about moviegoing in the teens.

(1:52) Fritzi Kramer runs the Movies Silently blog and is the person behind a new DVD release of a 1917 version of Robert Louis Stevenson's Kidnapped, directed by Alan Crosland (The Beloved Rogue) and preserved by the Library of Congress. But that's not all the release has to offer—it reproduces an entire 1917 film program for the whole family, to give you a glimpse of what moviegoing was like then. Here's her trailer, featuring Ben Model's score:

Order it from Amazon here. Here's the original thread about the Kickstarter at NitrateVille.

(22:25) Then, NitrateVille member Darren Nemeth talks about his Kickstarter-backed book How To Film Moving Pictures In the 1910s, which reproduces rare publications about production and the technical aspects of filmmaking from the early days.

Order it here. Here's the original thread about the Kickstarter at NitrateVille.

Image Image

(31:49) Muskegon, Michigan is where Buster Keaton's family spent their summers when it was too hot to perform in pre-air conditioning-era theaters. This October 5th and 6th it will also be home to the 24th annual Buster Keaton Convention, put on by the International Buster Keaton Society, aka The Damfinos.

I speak with Patricia Eliot Tobias, co-founder and president emerita of the society, about why she started a Buster Keaton society (not a fan club), and about this year's convention, whose guests will include Gerald Potterton (director of The Railrodder), Paul Gierucki (Cinemuseum) and (on video) Kevin Brownlow. We also talk about how modern audiences react to The General being a film about the Confederacy and other issues about viewing older films today.

Here's a page about the Keatons in Muskegon.

Image Image

(54:50) Drive-in movies of the 1960s are a little out of NitrateVille's usual historical time range—but they're part of early cinematic memories for many of us, not to mention being where Buster Keaton, among other vintage stars, found work in that era. Tom Lisanti's book Talking Sixties Drive-In Movies, from Bear Manor Media, features articles about and interviews with many who worked in beach movies, Elvis movies, spy spoofs and other examples of the exuberant, innocent teen entertainment of that era.

Here's a link to his site, SixtiesCinema.com.

HOW TO LEAVE A REVIEW AT iTUNES

Help us attract new listeners by leaving a review at iTunes. Here's how:

1. Click here to go to the iTunes web page for NitrateVille Radio.
2. Click on View at iTunes.
3. At the iTunes page, click on Ratings and Reviews.
4. Click on Write a Review

Thanks!
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Re: Ep. 28: Movies of the Teens • Buster Keaton Convention • 60s Drive-In Stars

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:33 pm

So one guest of this episode is doing a giveaway for another guest...

https://nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27008
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:33 am

Great episode, always pleased to hear some talk about The Railrodder, as it was my first exposure to Buster's work (CBC-TV used to run it all the time as emergency filler when I was a kid, especially when ball games were rained out), and as I've mentioned many times before, the early scenes were filmed on Lawrencetown Beach near where I grew up and where I still occasionally visit. I've also met Gerald Potterton and talked about the experience of making it, which is an experience I'll always treasure.

Hopefully some day I'll actually get to the Damfinos' annual gathering, I wonder how much flights to Milwaukee are...
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:50 am

Driving would be shorter from Chicago or about the same from Detroit. Milwaukee is only shorter if you swim.

hombredesilla

Unread post by hombredesilla » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:29 am

There is a ferry across the lake, but that's not speedy either. Chicago traffic or seasickness...such a decision.... :o

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:42 am

Heh, I was thinking of the ferry, and wondering if it would be necessary to rent a car on the other side. At least Porter flies from Halifax to Chicago.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:38 am

I wasn't sure if it would still be running in October, but it is. That'd be one way to arrive in style!

telical

Unread post by telical » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:54 pm

I have a dear friend who is deaf. Does Itunes allow CC? I know if you were to upload these to youtube, which probably takes about 30 seconds of copy/pasting per episode (if you don't count the time for the uploading), it has CC automatically generated.
--
Robert Pearson
http://www.paramind.net" target="_blank
http://www.telicalbooks.com" target="_blank
http://www.regenerativemusic.net" target="_blank

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 pm

I'd have to create a separate video file, which is possible, but then you wind up watching words appear in real time as it plays, which I have a hard time believing anyone would do, absent pictures to look at too.

I would find a transcription service more useful, but even the automated ones are still rather pricey when used for something that runs over an hour each time.