Ep. 35: Serge Bromberg of Lobster Films on Méliès and More

Show posts and discussion about NitrateVille's classic movie podcast
Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Ep. 35: Serge Bromberg of Lobster Films on Méliès and More

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:21 am

NitrateVille Radio Episode 35: Serge Bromberg of Lobster Films on Méliès and More

Paris-based Serge Bromberg of Lobster Films started by showing old cartoons and comedies on the children's TV show that he hosted. 30 years later he's one of the top film archivists and distributors of silent films in the world, as well as a French TV host and presenter of these films with his own accompaniment around the world. (72:30)

His latest US release is Méliès Fairy Tales in Color, a set of hand-tinted Méliès films from 4K scans of original prints, available now from Flicker Alley. We start by talking about that set, but go on to cover many other projects he's been involved with, many in partnership with the late David Shepard, including films by Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Cecil B. DeMille's King of Kings, and more.

1:53: Méliès Fairy Tales in Color
24:32: Chaplin, and the 1914 Movie Experience
39:54: Finding Keaton's Other Blacksmith
51:20: French Silents, King of Kings, and Impatient Collectors

HOW TO LEAVE A REVIEW AT iTUNES

Help us attract new listeners by leaving a review at iTunes. Here's how:

1. Click here to go to the iTunes web page for NitrateVille Radio.
2. Click on View at iTunes.
3. At the iTunes page, click on Ratings and Reviews.
4. Click on Write a Review

Thanks!
“Méliès is the OG.” —Liam Gebert

boblipton

Re: Ep. 35: Serge Bromberg of Lobster Films on Méliès and More

Unread post by boblipton » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:19 am

Another great episode, Mike! Hearing zbromberg gives people who have never had the pleasure of seeing one of his shows understand why he is such a great force in our hobby: his enthusiasm is clear in every sentence.

Please remember to post a link to his Kickstarter for the train films in Nitrateville.

Bob
Film lovers are sick people.
-- Francois Truffaut

maliejandra

Unread post by maliejandra » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:33 pm

I love what you said about the fact that these Melies films inspire kids because they can see how it was done and they know they could do that too. I never thought of it that way but you're absolutely right. Something about the simplicity of it is more inspiring than some of the more elaborate and expensive effects today.

:lol: I also never considered the fact that people in the early days of movie-going were at the risk of catching fleas/bed bugs and at the very least smelling some nasty odors and sitting on hard chairs. When people say I was born in the wrong era, I always tell them I'm grateful to live in an era where so many films are accessible and I have the time to watch them. Now I can add the theater experience to the list.

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:40 pm

That story about the discovery of the alternate version of The Blacksmith will go down in archival history. You couldn't invent something like that. I can still hardly believe it happened.

Zepfanman

Unread post by Zepfanman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:04 am

boblipton wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:19 am
Please remember to post a link to his Kickstarter for the train films in Nitrateville.
I assume this is the "Trains & Cinema" kickstarter? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... and-cinema

realist

Unread post by realist » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:50 am

Mike,
What a great episode! I was very excited to hear about Lobster's upcoming restoration of "Danger Lights"(1930). I wonder if the Library of Congress holds 70mm material on this film? Isn't that where the wide screen 70mm version of "The Big Trail the film was found?

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:39 am

And the campaign has opened. If you're as excited as realist, or simply want to help out, head over to the Crowdfunding section!

Bob
Film lovers are sick people.
-- Francois Truffaut

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:11 am

Good stuff, Mike.

Serge comes across - again - much like David Shepard: a mix of love for the material with common sense.

Thanks both,
- Craig