Les Miserables (1925)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
Henry Nicolella

Les Miserables (1925)

Unread post by Henry Nicolella » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:12 am

I've always thought the 1934 Raymond Bernard film with Harry Baur was probably the definitive version of the Victor Hugo novel but now, having seen an edited version of the 1925 film, I'm not so sure. The copy I watched was so-so-at best- in quality and taken from the 9.5mm edition of the film which isn't even half as long as the complete version. Even so I was very impressed and found it to be a powerful and moving film. Is there any chance that the complete movie (which runs about 6 hours) will ever get the proper dvd treatment? The release of a good (but fairly minor) film like "Cagliostro" gives me some hope.
Henry Nicolella

Ann Harding

Re: Les Miserables (1925)

Unread post by Ann Harding » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:35 am

I have seen the full 8-hour version of Henri Fescourt's Les Misérables. It is indeed a great picture, on a par with the Raymond Bernard. The film belongs to Pathé. It's been under restoration for several years. God knows if it will ever be on DVD. Let's hope. But if you go to Paris, you can watch the film in its entirety at the Forum des Images on a video screen.

Harlett O'Dowd

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:26 am

Ann Harding wrote:I have seen the full 8-hour version of Henri Fescourt's Les Misérables. It is indeed a great picture, on a par with the Raymond Bernard. The film belongs to Pathé. It's been under restoration for several years. God knows if it will ever be on DVD. Let's hope. But if you go to Paris, you can watch the film in its entirety at the Forum des Images on a video screen.
I so need to get back to Paris!

ulkis

Unread post by ulkis » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:28 pm

AnneHarding, I was wondering, in your opinion, do you think the chances for the 1913 version of Les Miserables being available on DVD are any better? (Also, I've read many of your silent film write-ups over on the dvdclassik boards. Thank you so much for writing and posting them - it's much appreciated!)

Ann Harding

Unread post by Ann Harding » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:56 am

I would say the chances to see Capellani's Les Misérables (1913) on DVD are about the same as for the 1925 one. They both belong to Pathé. Basically, I don't know...

monks19

Unread post by monks19 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:31 am

Any news about the 1913 and 1925 versions ? Have they even been broadcasted on TV once ?

Thanks to answer

Ann Harding

Unread post by Ann Harding » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:02 am

Still no TV broadcast or DVD for both version, alas. But the 1925 Fescourt version is still undergoing a complete restoration right now. Maybe a DVD one day? :?:

humanracer

Unread post by humanracer » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:20 am

Sorry I am not bumping this to inform you of a DVD release (I wish) but to ask about the restoration screened in March at the Théâtre National de Toulouse. Now my French isn't the best but am I right in thinking that the film is in colour?

http://www.fondation-jeromeseydoux-path ... 3%A9rables" target="_blank" target="_blank

It's a shame I missed the screening. Maybe the restoration can be viewed in Paris?

Thanks

Robert

Spiny Norman

Unread post by Spiny Norman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:36 am

humanracer wrote:Now my French isn't the best but am I right in thinking that the film is in colour?
Seems to be. Unless they mean tinted.
I can certainly imagine that for a literary national treasure like that, they might have gone to the trouble of doing it in colour.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Ann Harding

Unread post by Ann Harding » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:35 am

humanracer wrote:Sorry I am not bumping this to inform you of a DVD release (I wish) but to ask about the restoration screened in March at the Théâtre National de Toulouse. Now my French isn't the best but am I right in thinking that the film is in colour?

http://www.fondation-jeromeseydoux-path ... 3%A9rables" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

It's a shame I missed the screening. Maybe the restoration can be viewed in Paris?

Thanks

Robert
The new restoration was shown in Toulouse and in Paris (at the Fondation Jérôme Seydoux-Pathé) last March. It's entirely tinted (not hand-colored) and the new 4K digital print is gorgeous. I saw it and wrote some reviews: part 1 and part 2. The next screening will be at the Giornate del Cinema Muto in Pordenone (Italy) in October.

Spiny Norman

Unread post by Spiny Norman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:04 am

The 1913 one can be ordered from a French archive, anyway.

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:59 pm

>I can certainly imagine that for a literary national treasure like that, they might have gone to the trouble of doing it in colour.<

Was that a real option in 1925 France? (Except for the tinting/toning/scenciling option, ala CYRANO.)

-Craig

monks19

Unread post by monks19 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:24 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:The 1913 one can be ordered from a French archive, anyway.
Really ? Do you have a link for this ?

Spiny Norman

Unread post by Spiny Norman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:22 am

monks19 wrote:
Pathe Gaumont archive: http://www.gaumontpathearchives.com/ind ... &langue=EN" target="_blank
Never done this myself so I couldn't say how expensive or difficult it is. And there may be a watermark or a time code. But if you must see all, then it is possible.

Ann Harding

Unread post by Ann Harding » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:08 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
monks19 wrote:
Pathe Gaumont archive: http://www.gaumontpathearchives.com/ind ... &langue=EN" target="_blank" target="_blank
Never done this myself so I couldn't say how expensive or difficult it is. And there may be a watermark or a time code. But if you must see all, then it is possible.
You are not aware of the actual cost. Just look here. Besides, this website is dedicated to professional people working on documentaries, etc. for which they need small clips.

Spiny Norman

Unread post by Spiny Norman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:08 pm

Ann Harding wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
monks19 wrote:Really ? Do you have a link for this ?
Pathe Gaumont archive: http://www.gaumontpathearchives.com/ind ... &langue=EN" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
You are not aware of the actual cost. Just look here. Besides, this website is dedicated to professional people working on documentaries, etc. for which they need small clips.
Somehow I doubt that monks19 is a TV channel (terrestrial or satellite). A viewing copy was still affordable 5 years ago for a researcher with a small (but bigger than zero) budget.

humanracer

Unread post by humanracer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:45 pm

I saw this yesterday at the Barbican in London. A digital copy of the recent restoration. It was 397 minutes. I can only agree with others than this is indeed a brilliant movie and one of the best adaptations of the novel. All the actors were brilliant in their roles. The film was very faithful to the book. although some scenes were not included.

Neil Brand provided a brilliant score. It made me appreciate how important music is to silent cinema.