TOO MANY KISSES (1925) -- has it turned up?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
WaverBoy

TOO MANY KISSES (1925) -- has it turned up?

Unread post by WaverBoy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:18 am

I had never heard of this film until I saw a clip of it today in THE UNKNOWN MARX BROTHERS (1993) which features an appearance by Harpo. Has the complete film been screened, broadcast or sold anywhere within the last few years? There's been no commercial video release that I can find, and no grey marketeers seem to have it. That clip really makes me want to see the whole film.

Rob Farr

Re: TOO MANY KISSES (1925) -- has it turned up?

Unread post by Rob Farr » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:19 am

It survives in its entirety and we screened it at a Slapsticon some ten years ago. I don't believe there are any more Harpo scenes than those that were included in Unknown Marx Bros.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx

JFK

TOO MANY KISSES (1925)

Unread post by JFK » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:23 am

For some reason, I think I have somewhere an old program/playbill for a NYC screening.

It would be fun and fitting if Bill Marx worked on the music / played on the soundtrack,
or if some of Bill's or Harpo's or Chico's compositions could be adapted for the score.

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:44 pm

According to Joe Adamson, in 'Groucho, Chico, Harpo, and Sometimes Zeppo', TOO MANY KISSES was indeed a lost film, but turned up in (I forget which) the late 1960s or early 1970s. Opinion was not too high, but I'm sure there are plenty of us out there who don't care a flying fart about that...

Wm. Charles Morrow

Re: TOO MANY KISSES (1925)

Unread post by Wm. Charles Morrow » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:43 pm

JFK wrote:For some reason, I think I have somewhere an old program/playbill for a NYC screening.

It was shown at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens in 1990, I believe. For some reason I don't recall I wasn't able to go, but I figured I'd catch it the next time someone showed it.

P.S. I'm still waiting for that "next time."
-- Charlie Morrow

robluvthebeach

Unread post by robluvthebeach » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:00 pm

I believe it was also at Capitolfest in 2007 ...and I missed it ..hoping it would be shown again ...'some time'

Bob Birchard

Unread post by Bob Birchard » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:46 am

For some reason original 16mm reduction prints from the original camera negatives of both TOO MANY KISSES and THE SHOCK PUNCH turned up in the vault of director Irvin Willat after his death. He had nothing to do with the films, so perhaps it was through his friendship with Richard Dix that they came into his possession. The films were copied in 16mm by LOC, and the available screening prints derive from these LOC dupes.

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:51 pm

Bob Birchard wrote:For some reason original 16mm reduction prints from the original camera negatives of both TOO MANY KISSES and THE SHOCK PUNCH turned up in the vault of director Irvin Willat after his death. He had nothing to do with the films, so perhaps it was through his friendship with Richard Dix that they came into his possession. The films were copied in 16mm by LOC, and the available screening prints derive from these LOC dupes.
Would be interested to find out which other films turned up from Willat's vault...

JFK

A silent star with no lost films

Unread post by JFK » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:21 am

The movie's female lead, whose
first film-following Broadway work- this was,
was not long for the acting world, as her above signature hints.
Two tiny mysteries-
Why wasn't a copy of Kisses in her husband's vault?
Did Sam's friendship with Harpo -a relationship much envied by Groucho- begin with this film?

Rollo Treadway

Unread post by Rollo Treadway » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:44 am

One who has seen it claims that Zeppo also appears as an extra.

Also from 1925, A Kiss in the Dark would be interesting to see (if it exists), as it featured Zeppo appearing briefly as himself, along with other Broadway talent.