9th Annual "Watch That Movie Night" is January 27!

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 7:09 pm

Watch That Movie Night at NitrateVille is Friday, January 27
Sponsored by Kino Lorber!

Watch That Movie Night began nine Januarys ago as a way to liven up the dead of winter by finding something forgotten in your movie collection and watching and writing about it on NitrateVille— making you eligible for a giveaway of Kino titles. And it's never looked better than this year, because it's all in 2K restorations! In February Kino Lorber in association with Lobster Films will release four Buster Keaton features in new 2-disc editions from new 2K restorations, with multiple musical scores, commentary tracks, and extras. And we're giving away one of each— THE GENERAL plus THREE AGES, and STEAMBOAT BILL JR. plus COLLEGE.

Here's how it works:

The idea is, there's always something you've been meaning to see forever. It could be a DVD or a laserdisc or a VHS tape or a 16mm print that you own, it could be a movie on a streaming service or out there in the vast internet that you keep meaning to make time for. Well, now's the time to do it! Follow these simple steps:

1. Announce your choice in this thread.

2. Watch it on (or around) Friday, January 27.

3. And post something, anything about it in this thread by Monday, January 30th.

Winners will be selected at random from all posters and announced here the next day. (In other words, it's not a literary contest— we're not judging your entry, whatever you post gets you into the drawing. Sorry, US and Canada posters only for the prize due to rights issues, but we'll be happy to hear from everybody all the same.)

So please join me in taking the "Watch That Movie Night" pledge and announcing your choice over the coming days. Then be prepared for a great movie you might never have watched otherwise, and lots of interesting posts from NitrateVillains. If you've lurked but never posted before, what better way to make your first post than by joining in today!

Here's the link to the first Watch that Movie Night thread, and the second, the third, the fourth, the fifth, the sixth, the seventh and the eighth. Check 'em out-- there's lots of great commentary in them.

First step is to make your pledge of what you're going to watch— here's mine. Eons ago I bought a DVD of two Benjamin Christensen silents from the Danish Film Institute. At the time I didn't realize that they were region 2 and so I couldn't watch them then. I've long since owned a region-free player, but never watched them, so it's finally time to break them out and see Sealed Orders (1914) and Blind Justice (1917).

Now it's your turn, what are you going to watch?
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Dean Thompson

Re: 9th Annual "Watch That Movie Night" is January 27!

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Last year I watched BRIEF ENCOUNTER from Criterion's David Lean/Noel Coward set. [Pause to sniffle for a few minutes]

I just knew I'd get around to catching other films in that collection before the month was out, but you know what they say about good intentions. So this year I'm going to watch IN WHICH WE SERVE. There now!
Last edited by Dean Thompson on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little Caesar

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 8:15 pm

I've owned the Metropolis blu since it's original release but have never gotten around to watching it. I'll have to remedy that situation around the 27th.
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields

tthacker

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 9:17 pm

This might be a good excuse to finally watch Marketa Lazarova. I probably have a couple of hundred other possible candidates, but I've been meaning, and failing, to watch this one more than the rest.

greta de groat

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 9:43 pm

I'll go for the Jean Epstein box set, at least whatever i can watch.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

rudyfan

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 9:08 am

I will watch the extra Charm of Dynamite on the Napoleon set.

Rick Lanham

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 8:59 pm

I'll watch Lonesome (1928) and possibly more on the Criterion blue.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 9:38 pm

I've had the Chaplin MK2 box set for at least a dozen years, and have watched everything in it except A King in New York. I did see it -- once -- back in the VHS era, maybe three decades ago, and found it kind of semi-interesting. Not very good, but better than expected. Haven't seen it since however, so it's time to take another look, and on DVD this time.
-- Charlie Morrow

missdupont

PostFri Jan 13, 2017 9:33 am

I've had THE PROWLER DVD for several years, so I guess it's time to watch it.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Jan 13, 2017 10:26 am

The Prowler is so good, you'll be glad you finally did.

Great to see so many entries after only a day and a half, keep 'em coming! Here's more about these new Buster Keaton sets from Kino. You'll see some NitrateVille names in there:

THE GENERAL/THREE AGES (Kino Classics, 2 Disc Double Feature, Blu-ray & DVD)
Blu-ray and DVD Street Date: February 7, 2017
Blu-ray SRP: $29.95
DVD SRP: $24.95

THE GENERAL
Director: Buster Keaton, Clyde Bruckman
Starring: Buster Keaton, Marion Mack, Glen Cavender, Jim Farley

Action-Comedy / 79 min / B&W / NR

Synopsis: Buster Keaton's THE GENERAL is not simply one of the greatest silent comedies ever made, it is one of the greatest films-of any era. In restaging the true story of one man's journey behind enemy lines to reclaim his captured locomotive during the Civil War, Keaton stages a series of complex chases, using lumbering trains as comedic props. Keaton's inventive mind is matched only by his physical athleticism, making THE GENERAL a truly breath-taking experience.

New 2K restoration by Lobster Films, Orchestral score by Robert Israel, Orchestral score by Joe Hisaishi, Audio commentary by film historians Michael Schlesinger and Stan Taffel, Introduction by Orson Welles, Introduction by Gloria Swanson, "Return of The General," a vintage short film on the restoration of the legendary locomotive

THREE AGES
Director: Buster Keaton, Eddie Cline
Starring: Buster Keaton, Margaret Leahy, Wallace Beery, Joe Roberts

Comedy / 64 min / B&W / NR

Synopsis: Keaton's first foray into making feature films, THREE AGES is a parody of D.W. Griffith's Intolerance, dramatizing man's quest for love in three parallel settings-a modern city, the Stone Age, and ancient Rome-and loading each plotline with amazing stunts and hysterical sight gags.

New 2K restoration by Lobster Films, Music by the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra, Music by Robert Israel, Vintage Alka-Seltzer commercial, starring Buster Keaton, Candid Camera television segment, starring Buster Keaton, Man's Genesis (1912) a prehistoric drama by D.W. Griffith, parodied in Three Ages.

STEAMBOAT BILL, JR./COLLEGE (Kino Classics, 2-Disc Double Feature Blu-ray & DVD)
Blu-ray and DVD Street Date: February 21, 2017
Blu-ray SRP: $29.95
DVD SRP: $24.95

STEAMBOAT BILL, JR.
Director: Charles Reisner
Starring: Buster Keaton, Marion Byron, Ernest Torrence, Tom McGuire

Comedy / 69 min / B&W / NR

Synopsis: STEAMBOAT BILL, JR. was Buster Keaton's last independent silent comedy and also one of his finest. He stars as the effete son of a gruff riverboat captain (Ernest Torrence), who struggles to earn his father's respect (and the love of beautiful Marion Byron). But the film is best remembered for the climactic cyclone sequence-a slapstick tour-de-force in which Keaton's comedic stunts are performed amid the full-scale destruction of an entire town.

New 2K restoration by Lobster Films, Orchestral score by Timothy Brock, Organ score by Lee Erwin, Audio commentary by film historians Michael Schlesinger and Stan Taffel, Introduction by Serge Bromberg, Vintage Alka-Seltzer commercial starring Buster Keaton

COLLEGE
Director: James W. Horne
Starring: Buster Keaton, Anne Cornwall, Harold Goodwin, Snitz Edwards

Comedy / 65 min / B&W / NR

Synopsis: A stone-faced response to Harold Lloyd's The Freshman, COLLEGE follows a frail scholar as he tries to win the heart of a girl (Anne Cornwall) through athletics. Keaton used his own physical agility to brilliant comic effect, as his character suffers a series of crushing failures. But the greatest surprise comes at the end, when the scrawny intellectual finally releases the physical tiger within.

New 2K restoration by Lobster Films, Music by the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra, Organ score by John Muri, Audio commentary by Rob Farr, Tour of filming locations, by John Bengtson, author of Silent Echoes, Introduction by Serge Bromberg, Introduction by Lillian Gish, "Run, Girl, Run," a 1928 collegiate comedy starring Carole Lombard, "The Scribe" (1966), Keaton's final on-screen performance
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Hamilton's Grandson

PostFri Jan 13, 2017 10:50 am

I think I will throw City Girl (1930) into the DVD player on the 27th. Bit of dust on the jacket as I have not seen this one for a while. Too bad Murnau left the set when he could not fathom making a sound version of this film and too bad the sound version they finished without him is LOST.

Dana
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

NotSoSilent

PostFri Jan 13, 2017 4:35 pm

I think I will watch THE TOLL GATE. I have picked it up and put it down too many times.

Brooksie

PostSat Jan 14, 2017 9:53 pm

I'm currently hampered by the fact that I'm in one country and my unwatched DVDs are in another. However, on this side of the world, I do have a lot of old videos which have not been watched for about two decades, if ever. I'll dig up one of those, title TBA.

mwalls

PostSun Jan 15, 2017 6:40 am

I think I will watch The Emperor's Candlesticks. Bought it several years ago to watch but haven't even opened the wrapper yet.

Matthew

drednm

PostSun Jan 15, 2017 8:58 am

May finally get to the long La Roue.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Mitch Farish

PostSun Jan 15, 2017 9:39 am

I'll finally get around to delving into LES VAMPIRES (1916). I've had this for two years now!

boblipton

PostSun Jan 15, 2017 9:44 am

All great choices! My only regret is that I rarely have a movie at home that I don't get to quickly.

Bob
“Oh, yeah, I’ve been there. Pretty cool place. The people who live there? They love it. They’re nuts.”

That we do. And that we are.
-- James Lilek

oldposterho

PostMon Jan 16, 2017 8:34 am

Hell Harbor has been sitting on my coffee table for months. This is finally its time.

Roseha

PostMon Jan 16, 2017 11:55 am

I'll watch the Grapevine DVD of Are Parents People? and the Monty Banks short Wedding Bells. Looking forward to it.
- Rosemary

fredhedges

PostMon Jan 16, 2017 2:32 pm

Think I'll go with the whole La Roue also. I've only seen the second part once because it's SO SAD!
Last edited by fredhedges on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Daveismyhero

PostTue Jan 17, 2017 8:06 am

I'll join the Keaton theme and will watch Steamboat Bill, Jr. Unless I get tempted by another fine film from the unwatched pile. :)
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Okay, we're off to a good start with 20 people pledged, but there's always room for more! Look over your collection, pick out a movie you've never gotten around to, and make the pledge to be eligible for Buster Keaton prizes in fabulous 2K!

Jim Reid

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Well, I already have both the Keaton discs but I'll join in anyway. I always hear about John Ford's Tobacco Road. I'm pretty sure it's in the Ford at Fox box set. It's time to find out what everybody's talking about.

JFK

PostSat Jan 21, 2017 1:29 am

I'll watch one of these
ImageImageImage
Last edited by JFK on Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Lanham

PostSat Jan 21, 2017 7:39 am

JFK wrote:I'll watch one of these

I sense a political theme… The Senator was Indiscreet/Mr Ashton was Indiscreet was based on the work of one Edwin Lanham, whose uncle was a politcian. I've wondered if the uncle was his inspiration. Edwin is probably a (very) distant relative of mine.

Rick Lanham
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Michael Arlt

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 12:19 am

I'm going to watch Pandora's Box, or The Passion Of Joan Of Arc, or the both of them with my wife.

NotSoSilent

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 4:31 pm

NotSoSilent wrote:I think I will watch THE TOLL GATE. I have picked it up and put it down too many times.

I watched THE TOLL GATE this weekend. I’m not much of a fan of western films, but remember seeing a William S. Hart film at the Kansas Silent Film Festival a few years back and really enjoyed it (THE NARROW TRAIL, I believe). Hart was a true western star. I can see why he filled movie houses and had such a fan base.

My eight-year-old daughter joined me for the second half of the film, which disrupted the flow a bit as I had to explain how Hart’s character was the good guy…even though he wasn’t necessary a good guy. This side conversation took me out of the story a bit, so I will likely put the film back on my radar for a second viewing soon.

Anyway, I’m not going to review the film here, but will encourage a viewing for those who haven’t seen it. My DVD is an out of print Image copy, but the title is now available from Flicker Alley.

Agnes

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 10:18 pm

I love Clara Bow, & was so excited to get the Grapevine disc of "Hula". Then I got busy & didn't get around to letting myself sit down to watch this. So, thanks to this wonderful tradition here, I give myself permission each January to let myself sit & enjoy a classic that I have not watched (well, I have extrapolated it to a repeat of "watching a classic" for my birthday also).

So, I plan to watch Clara Bow in "Hula".
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

silentfilm

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 12:23 pm

I'll be watching Mrs. Miniver on BluRay.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Anyway, I’m not going to review the film here

But that's the point!
Next

Return to Talking About Silents