Buster Keaton— stunts and injuries

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
Dejael

Buster Keaton— stunts and injuries

Unread post by Dejael » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:46 am

Wow, I love that GIF file clip of Buster Keaton doing his own train stunt work in SHERLOCK JR. (1924). Thanks for posting it! Buster was an amazing comic genius who in addition to being a legendary comedian, also was an ace stunt man and producer-director. Keaton is one of the all-time great classic movie comedians. I have loved watching him since I was a boy in the 1950s and he had his own TV series, produced with comedy writer Clyde Bruckman. It was on KTTV Channel 11 in Los Angeles around 1950-53.
I met him in person in 1965 when I did my first extra work in an American-International Beach Party movie. He was amazing to watch in person, improvising and rehearsing his comedy bits with that beautiful blonde girl Bobbie Shaw.

All Darc

Re: LONG AWAITED "KING OF JAZZ" RESTORATION BEGINS IN 2012

Unread post by All Darc » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:06 pm

Thank you. When I saw this anime gif I had to place in the signature.

I was to ask if Keaton ever had any injury or accident along his career.
Dejael wrote:Wow, I love that GIF file clip of Buster Keaton doing his own train stunt work in SHERLOCK JR. (1924). Thanks for posting it! Buster was an amazing comic genius who in addition to being a legendary comedian, also was an ace stunt man and producer-director. Keaton is one of the all-time great classic movie comedians. I have loved watching him since I was a boy in the 1950s and he had his own TV series, produced with comedy writer Clyde Bruckman. It was on KTTV Channel 11 in Los Angeles around 1950-53.
I met him in person in 1965 when I did my first extra work in an American-International Beach Party movie. He was amazing to watch in person, improvising and rehearsing his comedy bits with that beautiful blonde girl Bobbie Shaw.
Keep thinking...

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:04 pm

All Darc wrote:I was to ask if Keaton ever had any injury or accident along his career
Yes.

Dejael

Unread post by Dejael » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Yes, Keaton suffered many injuries in his long show business career, due to his constant drive to invent new and more spectacular stunts that were incredibly dangerous. He could have been killed several times in his silent movie days, if he had not been extra careful in plotting out precisely everything in advance of shooting, and even on camera, doing as many retakes as needed until he got the shot exactly the way he wanted it.
Two stunts that immediately come to mind are the scene with the side of the house falling on him, with him left standing due to a large window being exactly where he was standing when the wall fell to the ground. The other is when he sat on the machine arm linking wheels together on a real locomotive while it was moving down the track, during shooting of THE GENERAL (1927), but there were many more.
For example, in SHERLOCK JR. (1924), the production included one of Keaton's most famous on-set accidents. In a scene where Keaton grabs a water spout while walking on a moving boxcar train, the water unexpectedly flooded down on Keaton much harder than anticipated, throwing him to the ground. The back of Keaton's neck slammed against a steel rail on the ground and caused him to black out. The pain was so intense that Keaton had to stop shooting later that day and he had "blinding headaches" for weeks afterwards, but continued working due to his well-known high threshold for physical pain. It was not until 1935 that a doctor spotted a callus over a fracture in Keaton's top vertebra in an X-ray. The doctor informed Keaton that he had broken his neck during the accident nine years earlier and not realized it. Keaton famously always performed his own stunts, and this was not the only accident on set. In another scene Keaton was in a motorcycle accident when the bike he was riding skidded and smashed into two cameras, knocking over director Eddie Cline and throwing Keaton onto a nearby car. (from Wikipedia)

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:19 pm

>Keaton famously always performed his own stunts<

I believe there were actually a few exceptions.

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:18 pm

wich2 wrote:>Keaton famously always performed his own stunts<

I believe there were actually a few exceptions.
The pole vault in College being the most famous one.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!