Metropolis With Voice Actors and in Color

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
Nosferatu

Metropolis With Voice Actors and in Color

Unread post by Nosferatu » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:44 pm

By posting this I may get them taken down, but I thought it was interesting.
You will have to copy and paste. Can't get the function to work.

Voice Actors

Colorized
"
Last edited by silentfilm on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donald Binks

Re: Metropolis With Voice Actors and in Color

Unread post by Donald Binks » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:12 pm

Nosferatu wrote:By posting this I may get them taken down, but I thought it was interesting.
You will have to copy and paste. Can't get the function to work.

Voice Actors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTVgHgpWzxY" target="_blank" target="_blank

Colorized
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB3S_ivukkg" target="_blank" target="_blank
If by doing this, the intention was to gain the interest of those not normally having much to do with silent pictures, then why not?

I had a brief look at the "talking" version and whilst the sound effects are good and in keeping with what is going on upon the screen, it falls down in the lip-synching department - one really can't just add dialogue to a silent picture and hope it will carry - the pantomime and talking just don't go together very well. The other problem I had with the dialogue was of placement. The sound was not adjusted to match from where they were speaking.

As to the coloured-up version, well, I think it has been by way of some automated process and has not covered some scenes very well.

Perhaps the next stage in all this is to marry the colour with the talking and then extend the aspect ratio to Cinemascope and replace the music with a lot of electric guitars and amplified drums? :D

(I wonder what the purists think?)
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:24 pm

1. For an automated process, the Color Version is actually interesting...

2. The main problem with the Dialogue Version, is the half-measure taken: if you're going to Mickey Mouse it, you have to MICKEY MOUSE IT! Where is the ambiance, where are the sound effects?

alostworld192593

Unread post by alostworld192593 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:46 pm

A review of both versions:

"No."

End of review.

Nosferatu

Unread post by Nosferatu » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Donald Binks wrote: If by doing this, the intention was to gain the interest of those not normally having much to do with silent pictures, then why not?

I had a brief look at the "talking" version and whilst the sound effects are good and in keeping with what is going on upon the screen, it falls down in the lip-synching department - one really can't just add dialogue to a silent picture and hope it will carry - the pantomime and talking just don't go together very well. The other problem I had with the dialogue was of placement. The sound was not adjusted to match from where they were speaking.

As to the coloured-up version, well, I think it has been by way of some automated process and has not covered some scenes very well.

Perhaps the next stage in all this is to marry the colour with the talking and then extend the aspect ratio to Cinemascope and replace the music with a lot of electric guitars and amplified drums? :D

(I wonder what the purists think?)
Maybe they are just Metropolis fans. I don't know anything about them. As far as the quality of the work, I wasn't really critical since I assume they didn't get paid.

Nosferatu

Unread post by Nosferatu » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:34 pm

Donald Binks wrote:
Perhaps the next stage in all this is to marry the colour with the talking and then extend the aspect ratio to Cinemascope and replace the music with a lot of electric guitars and amplified drums?
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached. Otherwise I could have shown you a mention of the makers of this possibility.

Spiny Norman

Unread post by Spiny Norman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:09 am

Resounding isn't new of course, there are some early attempts too. There is a re-sounded Cabiria and Napoleon. And more obscurely, a resounded version of a 1920s "Messalina".

I'm just a bit worried about the limited options for lip synch.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Nosferatu

Unread post by Nosferatu » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:32 am

That is true. Can't lip sync where they are not moving their mouths. Then you would have to resort to a ton of narration. I hated the Fairbanks Jr. Narration of The Three Musketeers.

Big Silent Fan

Unread post by Big Silent Fan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:56 pm

I spent the full two hours watching the dubbed "Metropolis," enjoying it completely. Fritz Lang surely would have been pleased. If you want to judge this, perhaps you need to watch it entirely?
I was surprised by a few spoken interpretations that were somewhat different from my many viewings of the Silent Film, but the experience today for me was simply amazing.
To their credit, there was just enough sound effects and just enough voice overs to properly tell the story. I'm not looking for a Mickey Mouse Cartoon and I enjoyed the musical score support as well. Less is more sometimes. Had there been more, I likely would have soon tired of this, but as it was, watching the two hour film today was a brand new experience.
The few film cuts made in this Metropolis-Remix were well planned and the complete film story is contained within the two hour play time. It was nice not to be bothered with intertitles since the film was properly dubbed. The story flowed well.

Yes there will be critics of this effort, but if they watch it objectively and completely, as I did, they will see Lang's "Metropolis" for the first time with speaking voices and sound. Yes they're dubbed over voices, but very carefully done.
At the very end of the video it says, "This fan edit is intended for education and not resale." All I can add is Bravo!

It was two hours of real entertainment for me, watching a film again that I first saw on late night television in the 1960s.

2 Reel

Unread post by 2 Reel » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:50 pm

Sorry, but both the lip-synchronization, as well as the tonality (distance from the camera, etc.) is unrealistic and terribly distracting and annoying, not unlike a horrible score. Perhaps if German was used instead of English, it might improve, but . . . why bother? It's like painting a statue: is it aesthetically necessary to one's enjoyment?

The colorization is also sub-par as compared to other versions, what with uneven/shifting tones, different skin colors on the same actor from scene to scene, and again, more of an annoying distraction than an improvement.
They call me "Dangerous Dal"

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:57 pm

2 Reel wrote:Sorry, but both the lip-synchronization, as well as the tonality (distance from the camera, etc.) is unrealistic and terribly distracting and annoying, not unlike a horrible score. Perhaps if German was used instead of English, it might improve, but . . . why bother? It's like painting a statue: is it aesthetically necessary to one's enjoyment?

The colorization is also sub-par as compared to other versions, what with uneven/shifting tones, different skin colors on the same actor from scene to scene, and again, more of an annoying distraction than an improvement.

You do know that the Greeks painted their statues in classical times? Nonetheless, the point stands that these movies were designed to be shown with musical scores composed and played by contemporary artists and, unlike Japanese silents, without significant spoken accompaniment; doing otherwise is about like scribbling over a Rembrandt with Crayolas.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

Spiny Norman

Unread post by Spiny Norman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:12 pm

Another consideration - for me at least - is that no-one's watching Metropolis for its story anyway. The plot and message are somewhat simplistic. Perhaps I will watch though because I am curious now how they could have managed to pull off the dubbing so well.

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:31 pm

Donald Binks wrote:
One issue is that we are hearing English while the lips are speaking German. Even the best lip syncing has trouble with crossing languages.
Eric Stott

Big Silent Fan

Unread post by Big Silent Fan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:40 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:Another consideration - for me at least - is that no-one's watching Metropolis for its story anyway. The plot and message are somewhat simplistic. Perhaps I will watch though because I am curious now how they could have managed to pull off the dubbing so well.
While I've always had a general idea of the "Metropolis" message, hearing the long spoken intro and then the additional words given in the exchange between Freder and his father made it clear. The re-imagined script performed convincingly by the cast put new life into the story most of us know by heart.
Some minor irritations I've had seemed to have been removed. In this, I don't remember seeing Rotwang walking, arms outstretched like a zombie (as he does in the original) and the dialog between Freder and Rotwang at the climax on top of the cathedral made that part of the story meaningful for me.

The video cropped off the last second of the conclusion, but those of us who know the story know what it was.

Spiny Norman

Unread post by Spiny Norman » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:11 am

FrankFay wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:
One issue is that we are hearing English while the lips are speaking German. Even the best lip syncing has trouble with crossing languages.
But even if otherwise, they could be reading shopping lists for all we know? In fact, don't lipreaders sometimes "hear" surprising bits of dialogue, including, shall we say, colourful language?

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:39 am

-No lip synchrony...

-The digital new algorithn to colorization it's 100 times worse than a 120 years old hand coloring technic.

Sorry the sincerity.
Keep thinking...

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:52 am

All Darc wrote:-No lip synchrony...

-The digital new algorithn to colorization it's 100 times worse than a 120 years old hand coloring technic.

Sorry the sincerity.

They designed the stuff to be hand-colored back then.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

Big Silent Fan

Unread post by Big Silent Fan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:10 am

All Darc wrote:-No lip synchrony...
How could anyone expect that? It's a German film!

The voice overs; including gasps, laughter, and many sound effects were carefully done; a lot of work without any expectation of being paid.
There's added dialog near the end that IMO, helps to clearly explain what's going on with Rotwang and Freder on the top of the cathedral (a scene I never enjoyed or appreciated in the Silent film).

Harlett O'Dowd

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:53 am

and let it never be forgotten that this stage musical happened:

Last edited by silentfilm on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed YouTube embed

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:04 pm

Nosferatu wrote: I hated the Fairbanks Jr. Narration of The Three Musketeers.
IRON MASK, yes? Or, did Jr. do MUSKETEERS as well?

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Chaplin narrationn for Gold Rush works cause he made all voices and did over a speed image, and most narration wasn't to add voice, but just narrate, so no one expect that to be like a dubbing.
For Metropolis I woulde like to have a leep reading for german language, to get the lines the actor really spoked.
Last edited by All Darc on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep thinking...

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:58 pm

Might be more to the point if a colourisation job was done on b/w survivors such as ON WITH THE SHOW and SWEET KITTY BELLAIRS, perhaps using FOH stills, posters and colour breakdowns from Warners / First National, if they exist at all...

Nosferatu

Unread post by Nosferatu » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:43 pm

wich2 wrote:
Nosferatu wrote: I hated the Fairbanks Jr. Narration of The Three Musketeers.
IRON MASK, yes? Or, did Jr. do MUSKETEERS as well?
That sounds right. Around 73 minutes.