TCM has changed their Reconstruction of "GREED"

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
Big Silent Fan

TCM has changed their Reconstruction of "GREED"

Unread post by Big Silent Fan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:43 am

Looking at the four hour long copy I recorded from TCM last Sunday night, I was pretty sure any differences I noticed compared with past viewings was simply my imagination. After all, what could they have changed? I noticed sight differences to the music but for the most part it was identical and likely my imagination.
However, three hours into the broadcast, I was stunned to see two Full color Still image sequences with old Granis and Miss Baker. Not two strip, but fully colorized images of the two of them sitting on a park bench, and then later close ups of the now happily married couple. These were as clear as the colorized prints many here at Nitrateville are now making.
Why did they decide to do this to a 1924 film?

I don't think I could have forgotten these images from the reconstruction I watched years ago.

allen john

Re: TCM has changed their Reconstruction of "GREED"

Unread post by allen john » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Big Silent Fan wrote:Looking at the four hour long copy I recorded from TCM last Sunday night, I was pretty sure any differences I noticed compared with past viewings was simply my imagination. After all, what could they have changed? I noticed sight differences to the music but for the most part it was identical and likely my imagination.
However, three hours into the broadcast, I was stunned to see two Full color Still image sequences with old Granis and Miss Baker. Not two strip, but fully colorized images of the two of them sitting on a park bench, and then later close ups of the now happily married couple. These were as clear as the colorized prints many here at Nitrateville are now making.
Why did they decide to do this to a 1924 film?

I don't think I could have forgotten these images from the reconstruction I watched years ago.
Hi, first these were indeed in the 1999 reconstruction, and their presence can be explained by the fact that the 'mock-idyllic' sequences that they initially belong to were in fact shot in 2-strip Technicolor. I suppose that this color treatment is either a trace of, or a tribute to, this Technicolor part of the original Greed. Remember that Stroheim experimented in many ways in color.

This article from 1999 (which concludes with a tantalizing promise, that sadly never became true) speaks about it:
http://www.filmmonthly.com/Silents/Arti ... Greed.html" target="_blank

Big Silent Fan

Re: TCM has changed their Reconstruction of "GREED"

Unread post by Big Silent Fan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:11 pm

allen john wrote:
Hi, first these were indeed in the 1999 reconstruction, and their presence can be explained by the fact that the 'mock-idyllic' sequences that they initially belong to were in fact shot in 2-strip Technicolor. I suppose that this color treatment is either a trace of, or a tribute to, this Technicolor part of the original Greed. Remember that Stroheim experimented in many ways in color.

This article from 1999 (which concludes with a tantalizing promise, that sadly never became true) speaks about it:
http://www.filmmonthly.com/Silents/Arti ... Greed.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
I accept your response.
Thanks for correcting me, but I certainly don't remember seeing these the first time I watched the entire four hours. The ones seen in the recent broadcast clearly have all three; Blue, Red and Green color. The prints are frankly lovely, and not of the same quality that could be done in 1924. Even Miss Baker's silver hair has a bluish tint.

The article is correct that the Granis/Baker sub-plot was the one pleasant story in the second half of the film.