What is the last film you watched? (2018)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
MaryGH

Re: What is the last film you watched? (2018)

Unread post by MaryGH » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:46 pm

donwc1996 wrote:
MaryGH wrote:
donwc1996 wrote: I really enjoyed Rider of the Plaines. I especially enjoyed the repore between Tom Tyler and his partner, Andy Shuford. This is truly a fine B western and one of my favorites.
Awesome! Have you seen Tom's Two Fisted Justice (1931)? Sinister Cinema puts it out - this particular print has about 20 minutes missing though. I know UCLA has a more complete print and it's on my "trying to get this print restored and to DVD" list.

Yeah it seems like a few of those Trem Carr films tried to re-create the Tom Tyler and his boy pal dynamic, after the silent films he made with Frankie Darro for FBO. Only a handful of his Trem Carr movies exist on DVD, hopefully the rest will eventually surface.
Thanks for the tip about Two Fisted Justice-will definitely check that out.
I've seen a lot of Tom Tyler's films, but sadly few from the 20's. I found that Tom Tyler and Frankie Darrow were in about 25 films together, but unfortunately I haven't seen any of them! Are any of them available?

Only one Tom Tyler-Frankie Darro FBO silent film is available on DVD - "The Texas Tornado", also from Sinister Cinema. This particular print (from what I understand, probably made from a 16mm reduction print) is either from Belgium or Netherlands, with re-created intertitle cards in English. There's a few minutes missing too, unfortunately, of a fight taking place on top of an oil derrick between Tom and one of the bad guys. I do know a more complete copy of this silent movie is at BFI.

There are however nine of Tom's FBO silent films that do exist in European film archives (please check out my petition link in my sig line below). During my early months of interest in Tom Tyler I spoke with someone (also a Tyler fan) regarding these silent films and the person said they will likely never see restoration or DVD.

I think otherwise though....
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

donwc1996

Unread post by donwc1996 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:12 pm

I have now ordered Two Fisted Justice and The Texas Tornado. I really look forward to seeing both of them.
I also signed the petition as I also would like to see Tom Tyler's silent films on DVD. thanks a lot for the info.

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:35 am

DER MORDER DIMITRI KARAMASOFF / THE MURDERER, DIMITRI KARAMAZOV (1931) is a part-Russian-directed (Fedor Ozep) German-language film from Dostoyevksy's novel. Fritz Kortner plays the soldier determined (in order to marry) to get 3,000 Roubles from his father, due to him from his mother's legacy. Alas for him, the old goat wishes to get married to a loose lady less than a a third his age, which is understandable when she appears in the form of a pre-Goldwyn Anna Sten! Haring off to dissuade the young hoyden, the inevitable happens, and he becomes besotted too, with dreadful consequences.

The opening shots of KARAMASOFF set the film off nicely and give the impression of a Russian movie, which in a way, it is. Despite some slightly confusing subtitling, this is a powerful, atmospheric film with a touch of von Sternberg at times and which keeps (mine, at least) the attention throughout, much more so than the twice-as-long version from Richard Brooks, which perhaps tried to be more faithful to the book. This was also filmed in French, but I've no idea yet whether that survives.

Another Free Cinema entry, TOGETHER (1956) is virtually a silent film with sound as it follows two deaf-mute friends* through a couple of days of their lives. The sound is deliberately muffled so to give the viewer an idea of their isolation and frustrations. Both are dock warehouse workers, living in a shabby (the furniture and 'comforts' are decidedly Edwardian, if not Victorian) room, and suffering the taunts of the local children who are seen playing on the still plentiful London bomb sites. Although a little long for this sort of thing, it is never boring and interesting to see a fairly rare film from this short-lived movement. And Lorenza Mazzetti, who directed this film with Denis Horne, is still with us aged about ninety!

*Played by Michael Andrews (the thin one) and Eduardo Paolozzi, both artists in real life, and neither deaf nor mute.
Last edited by earlytalkiebuffRob on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:39 am

Sullivan's Travels (1941) is a superb comedy/drama written and directed Preston Sturges. Story has a successful director of film comedies (Joel McCrea) who wants to make a prestigious drama about poverty and misery. He's told he doesn't have any experience with the subject, so he hits on the idea to dress like a bum and set out on a journey as an unnamed poor man. Along the way he meets a would-be actress in an "owl wagon" (Veronica Lake) who's about to give up and go back home. She buys him a breakfast and ends up tagging along. Film is buoyed by Sturges' stock company of players (especially Jimmy Conlin) and others to include William Demarest, Franklin Pangborn, Eric Blore, Robert Greig, Byron Foulger, Al Bridge, Torben Meyer, Julius Tannen, Charles Moore, Porter Hall, Robert Warwick, Fran Moran, Almira Sessions, Esther Howard, Jan Buckingham, Pat West, and Roscoe Ates.

During the movie scene at the church, Sturges had wanted to use a Charlie Chaplin silent, but could not get permission so he used a Disney cartoon Playful Pluto (1934). McCrea and Lake are excellent.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:57 am

This was also filmed in French, but I've no idea yet whether that survives.
Ann Harding talks about seeing it here, in this thread all about Fedor Ozep.

viewtopic.php?p=60418#p60418" target="_blank
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

MaryGH

Unread post by MaryGH » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:58 am

donwc1996 wrote:I have now ordered Two Fisted Justice and The Texas Tornado. I really look forward to seeing both of them.
I also signed the petition as I also would like to see Tom Tyler's silent films on DVD. thanks a lot for the info.
Thank you for signing my petition!

If you find that you like "The Texas Tornado", check out his later silent films made for G. A. Durlam, "Call of the Desert" (also from Sinister Cinema) and "Canyon of Missing Men" (Alpha video/Oldies.com), both from 1930.

Hope this helps!
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:35 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:
This was also filmed in French, but I've no idea yet whether that survives.
Ann Harding talks about seeing it here, in this thread all about Fedor Ozep.

viewtopic.php?p=60418#p60418" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Thank you for this. I have a friend who will be very interested in Ann Harding's post. :)

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:16 pm

Today's movie with my cousin is the Russian nominee for Best Foreign Movie, Loveless (2017): Maryana Spivack and Aleksey Rozin are getting divorced,. They've moved on to new lovers and have to sell their old apartment and deal with the fact that his boss is a Fundamentalist Christian who will fire him if he finds out he has gotten a divorce, which will compromise child support for their 12-year-old son. They're two smart, attractive-looking, terrible human beings, and when their son turns up missing, the audience gets to watch them fight and wrangle and be terrible human beings for two hours and seven minutes. There are brief respites when we watch the guy in charge of the volunteers who help find kidnapped children -- because the authorities are terrible -- who is efficient at his job, and it's always a pleasure to watch someone do a job well. There's also one funny scene in which the two leads go visit her terrible mother to see if the son is there. She's old and paranoid and as hateful as her daughter, and so forth.

All the shots are deliberately slow so the awfulness of the situation can penetrate to anyone who isn't aware that this is a bad thing; and there are plenty of recapitulated shots to serve as chapter headings, so people will know that, well, doctor, here we are again. The performances are great, but perhaps a general nuclear strike would be the best ending to this movie.

At lunch afterwards, I asked my cousin: "Do they still make movies about people who are flawed but decent, and over the movie they fix their flaws and things turn out well?" He twirled some spaghetti around a fork and said "Only if they're gay."

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

donwc1996

Unread post by donwc1996 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:09 pm

MaryGH wrote:
donwc1996 wrote:I have now ordered Two Fisted Justice and The Texas Tornado. I really look forward to seeing both of them.
Thank you for signing my petition!

If you find that you like "The Texas Tornado", check out his later silent films made for G. A. Durlam, "Call of the Desert" (also from Sinister Cinema) and "Canyon of Missing Men" (Alpha video/Oldies.com), both from 1930.

Hope this helps!
I appreciate your mentioning Call of the Desert and Canyon of Missing Men. I have both of these on DVD and it's sorta how II got interested in Tom tyler's silent films.

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:10 pm

There is a staccato pace to the editing of A Girl of the Limberlost (1934) that gives this first talkie version of Gene Stratton-Porter's 1909 novel an episodic quality. It begins with Marian Marsh anxious to enter high school and get an education, but her mother, Louise Dresser, hates her, because her father drowned the night of her birth. Only her aunt, Helen Jerome Eddy, and uncle, Ralph Morgan, are anxious to help her, but her sweet nature wins over a bevy of admirers, many of them silent film actors, ready to please fans of old movies: Betty Blythe, as "The Bird Lady" -- a stand-in for Mrs. Stratton-Porter -- who becomes her best friend; Henry B. Walthall, as the kindly local doctor; Baby Peggy, as a schoolmate; and Syd Saylor as a local hard case.

The real issues of abuse, poverty and, indeed, nature conservancy that run through the original novel are muted in director Christy Cabanne's handling of the material under the newly enforced Production Code, but the performances are all telling. Indeed, Ralph Morgan may never have given a better one. The material may strike the modern viewer as old-fashioned and sentimental, but the issues that underlie the movie remain real, and its messages of triumph and redemption, rather than punishment, is one I applaud.

Bob
— Bob Fells

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Fausse Alerte aka The French Way may have been released in 1945 after the Liberation, but it clearly was shot in 1940, during the "False War", since it it an ensemble comedy set around people in Paris' air raid shelters.

Micheline Presle and Georges Marchal are desperately in love, but his father, Saturnin Fabre, has written a history of Napoleon in which he claims that her mother, Gabrielle Dorziat is not a descendant of that man. Lawsuits fly, and Fabre offers Josephine Baker a discount on her rent if she will have one of her chorus girls distract his son. However, she is all for young love, so for the moment, she's happy to play Friar Lawrence with some musical interludes. Other comics of the era add in marital discord, war profiteering and how tramps adjust to there being jobs for everyone.

It's an amusing French comedy of the cynical variety, but by the post-war era, no one was very interested in it, except possibly for seeing Miss Baker. It got an American release in 1952 in the period when all the sophisticates wanted to see foreign films, then fell back into relative obscurity; four musical numbers and a view of the war that ran contrary to the mythic image chafed. Still, for the trifle that it is, it's a very pleasant one.

Bob
— Bob Fells

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:25 am

A real change of pace. I watched The Life of Reilly (2006) a one-man show starring Charles Nelson Reilly. Culled from the 3-hour stage show that played off-Broadway in 2002, Reilly takes us on a tour of his chaotic life as a child in the Bronx in the 1930s and later in Hartford where he survived a famous circus fire. His road to being an actor is filled with bittersweet and very funny anecdotes about his parents and other family members and his early days on Broadway in the 1950s and 60s. The 75-year-old Reilly limps his away around a minimalist stage but gets his last chance to roar. He died in 2007.

My father met Reilly in Jupiter , FL, in the 1990s and tried to chat with him, but Reilly brushed him off with, "Sir, you are a ruffian!" This was my father's only brush with celebrity and he thought it was hysterically funny. He told the story often.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:37 am

So, was your father a ruffian?

Bob
— Bob Fells

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:33 am

boblipton wrote:So, was your father a ruffian?

Bob
No, he was a Pruffian.

Jim

Zool

Unread post by Zool » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:36 am

I saw Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405. It won for Documentary Short Subject. It's about Mindy, a disabled artist living in Los Angeles. She's afflicted with numerous mental illnesses. It goes back and forth between her childhood and the present, telling her story, and all that most likely contributed to her current mental state. Her art work is... well, everyone's art work is different. It isn't off putting at all, though. The film is available to watch for free online.

boblipton wrote:They're two smart, attractive-looking, terrible human beings
Pretty depressing. Sounds just like real life.
:shock:
You probably thought or even wished that I was dead.

George O'Brien.net

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:46 am

Get Out (2018) is an entertaining film about a Black guy who goes off to the country with his White girlfriend where he encounters an odd Stepford kind of social order with Blacks showing odd behaviors in odder roles. This film won an Oscar for screenplay and was nominated best actor, best director, and best film. Seems wildly overrated.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:29 pm

Henry Hunter is a park ranger at Yellowstone (1936), and quite taken with pretty Judith Barrett when she shows up to meet with her father, Ralph Morgan, who has been in Australia for eighteen years -- or so she thinks. By the time things start to come clear, Morgan has been murdered, Hunter has been falsely accused and there are several fine suspects in this nicely scripted B mystery directed by Arthur Lubin.

There is nice location shooting, a good supporting cast, including Andy Devine, Alan Hale, Rollo Lloyd (looking like his more famous brother gone to seed), and Paul Harvey. The writers include Stuart Palmer, which accounts for the nice, classically tangled assortment of suspects. I must admit I chose one at the three-quarters mark based on editing choices meant to make the movie shorter -- in the end, though, I was surprised!

It's not a classic of the genre, but it does what a B mystery should: gives a good puzzler with good actors and some some nice scenery.

Bob
— Bob Fells

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:47 am

Watched a Jimmy Stewart film I'd never seen or even heard of before. The Jackpot (1950) casts Stewart as an Indiana man who works in a local department store. He wins a $24,000 prize package via a radio show and his life is turned upside down when he learns he has to pay an income tax on the collection of junk that invades his house. Film gets funnier as it goes along and reaches its logical conclusion. Stewart turns in a marvelous comedy performance as the harried man who has to suddenly deal with a world gone mad. Barbara Hale plays the wife, Fred Clark the boss, James Gleason the pal with connections, Patricia Medina the artist, and Alan Mowbray as the interior decorator ("It's Leslie ... just Leslie"). Natalie Wood and Tommy Rettig play the kids and lots of other familiar faces pop up in smaller roles: Lyle Talbot, Mae Marsh, Syd Saylor, Ann Doran, John Qualen, Minerva Urecal, and Fritz Feld.

On the other hand, I watched the 2017 version of Murder on the Orient Express, which was predictably awful. Kenneth Branagh plays Poirot with a come-and-go accent. Michelle Pfeiffer, Judi Dench, Willem Dafoe, Derek Jacobi, Johnny Depp, Olivia Colman, Josh Gad, Penelope Cruz fill out the main roles. What really kills this is the CGI crap that was not necessary at all. Ho w many zooming aerial shots do we really need of the fake train going through the fake mountains? How many shots do we need taken from the ceiling looking down on the actors' heads? So much attention paid to everything but the plot....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:14 am

drednm wrote: On the other hand, I watched the 2017 version of Murder on the Orient Express, which was predictably awful. Kenneth Branagh plays Poirot with a come-and-go accent. Michelle Pfeiffer, Judi Dench, Willem Dafoe, Derek Jacobi, Johnny Depp, Olivia Colman, Josh Gad, Penelope Cruz fill out the main roles. What really kills this is the CGI crap that was not necessary at all. Ho w many zooming aerial shots do we really need of the fake train going through the fake mountains? How many shots do we need taken from the ceiling looking down on the actors' heads? So much attention paid to everything but the plot....
Worst of all is the theft of Sir C. Aubrey Smith's eyebrows, to be worn like fetid fetishes beneath Branagh's nostrils.

Bob
— Bob Fells

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:44 am

boblipton wrote:
drednm wrote: On the other hand, I watched the 2017 version of Murder on the Orient Express, which was predictably awful. Kenneth Branagh plays Poirot with a come-and-go accent. Michelle Pfeiffer, Judi Dench, Willem Dafoe, Derek Jacobi, Johnny Depp, Olivia Colman, Josh Gad, Penelope Cruz fill out the main roles. What really kills this is the CGI crap that was not necessary at all. Ho w many zooming aerial shots do we really need of the fake train going through the fake mountains? How many shots do we need taken from the ceiling looking down on the actors' heads? So much attention paid to everything but the plot....
Worst of all is the theft of Sir C. Aubrey Smith's eyebrows, to be worn like fetid fetishes beneath Branagh's nostrils.

Bob
Pretty bad. Even worse is that he's returning in Death on the Nile.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

oldposterho

Unread post by oldposterho » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:05 am

Was quite surprised by How the West Was Won. For some reason I thought it had a reputation as a plodding mess, and maybe it does, but I found it entirely entertaining. Granted, it ain't groundbreaking plot-wise but it kept my attention throughout and the Cinerama photography is breathtaking. The restoration is magnificent and I could only spot the seams a couple of times.

A couple of modern films deserve mention as well. I thought Three Billboards outside Ebbing, MO is one of the smartest films I've seen in a long, long time. Not for everybody but for them's what complain about brainless Hollywood tripe, this is the movie for you.

I was also rather merciless in slagging Blade Runner 2049 based only on the lackluster trailer, however, when I finally saw it I was blown away. As pure of a 'science fiction' film as you could make with ideas taking the place of explosions. Never once checked the clock despite its length and was engrossed throughout. Highly recommended for genuine sci fi fans.

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:52 pm

oldposterho wrote:Was quite surprised by How the West Was Won. For some reason I thought it had a reputation as a plodding mess, and maybe it does, but I found it entirely entertaining. Granted, it ain't groundbreaking plot-wise but it kept my attention throughout and the Cinerama photography is breathtaking. The restoration is magnificent and I could only spot the seams a couple of times.
One of the problems would be in the way most of us get to see widescreen films years after their release. Washed-out copies, letterboxad, pan-and-scanned, and cropped films on a small TV screen will often give a bad impression of a film which could well be a revelation when seen in the best possible conditions and would explain one's poor view of some of them.

oldposterho

Unread post by oldposterho » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:26 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:One of the problems would be in the way most of us get to see widescreen films years after their release. Washed-out copies, letterboxad, pan-and-scanned, and cropped films on a small TV screen will often give a bad impression of a film which could well be a revelation when seen in the best possible conditions and would explain one's poor view of some of them.

That's a great point, particularly for these *really* wide screen films.

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:51 pm

drednm wrote:
boblipton wrote:[

Bob
Ugh! Oh, for Gosh's sake! You'd think the man would leave well alone and just acknowledge that David Suchet was Poirot and get on and do something else.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:05 pm

Young Wives' Tale (1951) is a movie version of one of those brittle post-war stage farces, this one originally written by Ronald Jeans. Given then-current housing shortages, two couples -- Joan Greenwood & Nigel Patrick; Derek Farr & Helen Cherry -- are sharing a house. Each has one toddler, and only Miss Greenwood to work as dogsbody for the menage. Given her super-posh accent, she is an absolute flub at it, but she does get to show some athleticism as she leaps from one disaster to the next. When Miss Cherry locates a decent nanny for the children in the person of Athene Seyler, everyone thinks for a moment that the situation is saved, but for the purposes of the plot, they tell her the children are siblings, and she believes Miss Greenwood is married to Mr. Farr. The usual comedy of misconstruction ensues, carried on by speed by and the abilities of the cast. Alas, the effort never quite opens up beyond its stage origins.

Movie fans will want to see this for a sizable supporting role by Audrey Hepburn. She plays a young woman who has a room in the house and whose salient quality is she is terrified of men. Although her character connects loosely with the plot at several points, I had the distinct impression that at some stage of the movie's origins -- perhaps before the play actually opened -- the role was actually much larger. Now it is largely vestigial, even if it is the main reason the movie is remembered.

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Bob Fells

sherry

Unread post by sherry » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:59 am

Donald Binks wrote:
drednm wrote:
boblipton wrote:[

Bob
Ugh! Oh, for Gosh's sake! You'd think the man would leave well alone and just acknowledge that David Suchet was Poirot and get on and do something else.
I agree about Suchet as Poirot, even though my favorite version of MotOE is the 1974 all-star movie.

wingate

Unread post by wingate » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:08 am

I watched Weary River,1929,last night.Probably the strangest part talkie I have ever seen.Reel 1 silent,reel 2 sound,reel three starts silent,and then after three minutes it becomes a talkie.From then on silent and sound periods alternate with no rhyme or reason.Wonder what the thinking was.Where they experimenting to see if this type of film worked,did they not have enough sound equipment to go round.Very strange but interesting film.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:01 am

drednm wrote:Get Out (2018) is an entertaining film about a Black guy who goes off to the country with his White girlfriend where he encounters an odd Stepford kind of social order with Blacks showing odd behaviors in odder roles. This film won an Oscar for screenplay and was nominated best actor, best director, and best film. Seems wildly overrated.
Watched it last week. It starts off really slowly, looking for all the world like a forced-fed TV movie from 1972. It builds momentum, though, and becomes quite enjoyable. But I agree, it is overrated. I think the political correctness crowd was way too eager to annoint it with the laurel crown of greatness merely because it substitutes "blacks" for "women" in the re-telling of the Stepford Wives plot.

I look forward to Daniel Day Lewis making a left-foot version of the same plot.

Jim

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:01 am

Any nostalgia buffs out there? Here's a 1960 TV special hosted by Hedda Hopper as she looks back at Hollywood legends, some current movies, and some young hopefuls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhLix9qnSR0&t=1592s" target="_blank

As far as I can tell, this was the first filmed appearance by Marion Davies since she retired in 1937. She look fabulous but very frail. Gloria Swanson seems to be babbling. The "Ben-Hur" clip with Francis X. Bushman and Ramon Novarro is interesting as is the talk with film editor Anne Bauchens. Janet Gaynor shows us her Oscar and we see a bit of Davies' and Harold Lloyd's estates.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:29 am

drednm wrote:Any nostalgia buffs out there?
You've come to the wrong site, I'm afraid. We're all into hip-hop, social media, and Youtube videos here. Also tattoos.

Jim