The Criterion Channel

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
s.w.a.c.

Re: The Criterion Channel

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:18 am

Rick Lanham wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:45 pm
An article giving 50 movies to start with on the channel
and the names of others by the same director:

https://www.vulture.com/article/criteri ... aming.html
Thanks for the link, Rick! According to that, John Ford's adaptation of Sean O'Casey's The Plough & the Stars is on there, which I've been wanting to see in a decent copy for years. AFAIK, it never got a home video release in North America, possibly due to literary rights, or because everyone seems to think it's a stinker. Either way, since I saw the play performed in Dublin in the early '90s, I've wanted to finally see it.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:27 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:18 am
Rick Lanham wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:45 pm
An article giving 50 movies to start with on the channel
and the names of others by the same director:

https://www.vulture.com/article/criteri ... aming.html
Thanks for the link, Rick! According to that, John Ford's adaptation of Sean O'Casey's The Plough & the Stars is on there, which I've been wanting to see in a decent copy for years. AFAIK, it never got a home video release in North America, possibly due to literary rights, or because everyone seems to think it's a stinker. Either way, since I saw the play performed in Dublin in the early '90s, I've wanted to finally see it.
Yes, The Plough and the Stars is on there. I've got it playing right now, with subtitles.

I noticed on a different movie that many words in the subtitles were missing letters, or truncated (museum becomes muse, for example). I hope that was the exception and that most of the subtitles are better.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:45 am

I'm making my way through the Columbia Film Noir titles on the Criterion Channel that I don't have on DVD (they're all from the four-volume set that came out from Columbia/TCM, of which I only have a couple of volumes), and had a playback glitch that I'm hoping doesn't become a regular occurrence. I've already mentioned it in the What Was the Last Movie You Watched? thread, so I'll just quote it here.
To make matters worse, there was a weird glitch during the last 10 minutes of So Dark the Night, where an error code came on the screen with an "OK" button to click to go back to the menu. I went back to the menu, and then selected the movie again (and had to fast forward back to the point where the glitch occurred). The glitch happened again, with the error code and "OK" button on the screen, but for some reason the movie kept playing in the background behind this kind of transparent overlay, so I had to watch the remainder of it with the big climax that way. Hopefully this isn't indicative of future playback issues.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Dan Oliver

Unread post by Dan Oliver » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:28 am

Yes! The exact same thing happened at the end of The Burgler with the same results -- I ended up watching the last few minutes as if it was a VERY dark print. The only other film I've watched so far, The Lineup, played with no problems.
--Dan

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:04 am

Rick Lanham wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:27 pm
I noticed on a different movie that many words in the subtitles were missing letters, or truncated (museum becomes muse, for example). I hope that was the exception and that most of the subtitles are better.
The dropped-letters issue was something I found with most FilmStruck captions, too.

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:58 am

Regarding Columbia Noir titles having problems, I had no problems with Murder By Contract and My Name Is Julia Ross.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:24 am

Dan Oliver wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:28 am
Yes! The exact same thing happened at the end of The Burgler with the same results -- I ended up watching the last few minutes as if it was a VERY dark print. The only other film I've watched so far, The Lineup, played with no problems.
Drat, The Burglar is one of the titles I'm planning to watch in that series, along with Drive a Crooked Road. The others I've either seen or have on DVD already. Oh well, I'll give it a shot and report back.