Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
Online
User avatar
boblipton
Posts: 6255
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Clement Clarke Moore's Farm

Re: Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Unread post by boblipton » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:05 pm

westegg wrote:Yeah! Laurel & Hardy! What were they all about?!

:roll:

Who?

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

karllafong
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:30 pm

Re: Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Unread post by karllafong » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:44 pm

Sorry I'm so late, but -- I can't believe no one has mentioned Sammy Petrillo & Duke Mitchell yet, at least I don't think anyone has.
I really can't believe someone actually mentioned Laurel & Hardy and Burns & Allen.
Wow, the mind boggles...

earlytalkiebuffRob
Posts: 3411
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:53 am

Re: Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:09 pm

Saw a couple of films with the 'Ton of Fun' a couple of years back. May have been unlucky, but I found them achingly unamusing...

User avatar
Ray Faiola
Posts: 1038
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:18 am
Location: Ellenville, NY
Contact:

Re: Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Unread post by Ray Faiola » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:11 am

Morton and Hayes.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

User avatar
s.w.a.c.
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: The Land of Evangeline

Re: Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:58 am

Ray Faiola wrote:Morton and Hayes.
Well, sure if you judge them by Daffy Dicks or Society Saps, but The Bride of Mummula is a classic!

But they're no Biffle & Shooster.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

busby1959
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 pm
Location: Cathedral City, California

Re: Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Unread post by busby1959 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:08 am

They were not a part of the Golden Age of film, but may I mention Cheech and Chong? Talk about a one trick pony - their movies are so repetitive.

User avatar
telical
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Unread post by telical » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:26 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:
Ray Faiola wrote:Morton and Hayes.
Well, sure if you judge them by Daffy Dicks or Society Saps, but The Bride of Mummula is a classic!

But they're no Biffle & Shooster.

Morton & Hayes - The Bride of Mummula

Looking good so far....hope they didn't put all the good stuff at the beginning :lol:
Last edited by silentfilm on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link
--
Robert Pearson
http://www.paramind.net" target="_blank
http://www.telicalbooks.com" target="_blank
http://www.regenerativemusic.net" target="_blank

User avatar
FrankFay
Posts: 3263
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 am
Location: Albany NY
Contact:

Re: Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Unread post by FrankFay » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:59 pm

busby1959 wrote:They were not a part of the Golden Age of film, but may I mention Cheech and Chong? Talk about a one trick pony - their movies are so repetitive.
Their albums are better- the movies were best watched under the influence.
Eric Stott

Dave Pitts
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Unread post by Dave Pitts » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:46 am

Mitchell and Petrillo, if we're talking tiniest blips on the radar.
Lum and Abner, if we're talking mid-range notoriety (altho' I guess they were a phenomenon, on radio.)
Biggest disappointments as teams, considering their appeal separately: Thelma Todd/Patsy Kelly and Thelma Todd/Zasu Pitts (not my great grandma.) The scripts were witless and in every one I've seen, there's a laugh about one or both of them taking a pratfall. Sorry, not for me.

User avatar
Little Caesar
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Unread post by Little Caesar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:38 am

This thread is six years old and on its fourth page and yet Franco and Ciccio haven't been mentioned? Yikes!
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields

User avatar
FrankFay
Posts: 3263
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 am
Location: Albany NY
Contact:

Re: Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Unread post by FrankFay » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:20 pm

Little Caesar wrote:This thread is six years old and on its fourth page and yet Franco and Ciccio haven't been mentioned? Yikes!
I'd have to understand what they say first
Eric Stott

Online
Wm. Charles Morrow
Posts: 1165
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:10 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Re: Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Unread post by Wm. Charles Morrow » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:56 pm

FrankFay wrote:
Little Caesar wrote:This thread is six years old and on its fourth page and yet Franco and Ciccio haven't been mentioned? Yikes!
I'd have to understand what they say first
War Italian Style was shown at Slapsticon a few years ago. In his introduction to the screening, Mr. Richard M. Roberts defended the team with the eloquence of a Clarence Darrow, saying among other things that they were very popular in Italy & elsewhere in Europe, their films had decent budgets and did well at the box office.

Then we saw the film. Even allowing that everything he said was 100% accurate, I concluded that they weren't funny. For me anyway, when a comedy team isn't funny that's a deal breaker.
-- Charlie Morrow

User avatar
FrankFay
Posts: 3263
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 am
Location: Albany NY
Contact:

Re: Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Unread post by FrankFay » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:17 pm

Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:
War Italian Style was shown at Slapsticon a few years ago. In his introduction to the screening, Mr. Richard M. Roberts defended the team with the eloquence of a Clarence Darrow, saying among other things that they were very popular in Italy & elsewhere in Europe, their films had decent budgets and did well at the box office.
Watching their style of comedy explains why dubbed versions of Larry Semon's films remained wildly popular on Italian television for years. (and I LIKE Semon)
Eric Stott

busby1959
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 pm
Location: Cathedral City, California

Re: Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Unread post by busby1959 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:27 pm

FrankFay wrote:
busby1959 wrote:They were not a part of the Golden Age of film, but may I mention Cheech and Chong? Talk about a one trick pony - their movies are so repetitive.
Their albums are better- the movies were best watched under the influence.
You are so correct. Some of the material on their records I found very funny. But the movies? Oy!

User avatar
syd
Posts: 642
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:55 am

Re: Least Favorite Comedy Team?

Unread post by syd » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:05 pm

There was Warner Brother's animation
answer to Disney's Chip and Dale: The
Goofy Gophers Mac and Tosh. Their
shtick was being very polite to each other
but not so much to their antagonist.

Mack and Myer For Hire were about as funny
as root canal. I remember them being filler
on a local channel on Sunday afternoons. They
tried so hard to mimic teams like Abbott and
Costello but had neither budget or talent to pull it
off.

Post Reply