Gallery of Mastheads

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Re: Gallery of Mastheads

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Per the discussion above, I wanted to note the Fox retrospective at MOMA discussed here, but none of the other suggestions seemed to really fit the films being shown, so I decided to honor the film that's been the most talked-about Fox rediscovery of the last few months, William K. Howard's 1931 Transatlantic, featuring Edmund Lowe and Greta Nissen in this image. I interviewed Dave Kehr about the series recently, so watch for that on NitrateVille Radio shortly.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Tue May 01, 2018 4:45 am

Once again, my bad-facial-recognition abilities made me wonder what Al Pacino was doing back then.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Tue May 01, 2018 9:07 am

boblipton wrote:Once again, my bad-facial-recognition abilities made me wonder what Al Pacino was doing back then.

Bob
(Passes glasses to Bob) "Here, try these for size Uncle Bob!"
:)
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Tue May 01, 2018 10:09 am

Donald Binks wrote:
boblipton wrote:Once again, my bad-facial-recognition abilities made me wonder what Al Pacino was doing back then.

Bob
(Passes glasses to Bob) "Here, try these for size Uncle Bob!"
:)
recoils in horror “You wish me to see the world as it truly is? What horrors you would inflict on me!”

Bob
— Bob Fells

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue May 01, 2018 12:15 pm

Looks a LOT more like Kevin Kline than Al Pacino. Even looks like Robert de Niro in his little-moustache period. And his companion could be Uma Thurman.

Jim
(Wait a minute, are these my reading glasses or my distance glasses?)

Dean Thompson

Unread post by Dean Thompson » Tue May 01, 2018 5:27 pm

I needed my reading glasses, too: for a second there I thought it was Ronald Colman and Ann Harding. Still have to catch them in Condemned!

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue May 01, 2018 7:10 pm

So no big Edmund Lowe fans, huh? He's someone who seems to have become a star just because he could be very dapper, but he's not very memorable as a performer. To be honest, Transatlantic's newfound fame is probably his only chance for the masthead!
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Tue May 01, 2018 7:59 pm

Well, he was in that What Price Glory? (1927) film, which does have a pretty good reputation.

He played character parts long into the sound era, such as one of the guilty-looking suspects in Dangerous Blondes (1943).

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Tue May 01, 2018 8:24 pm

He was good foil to Victor McLaglen and got a good following in the pictures they made together. I just think that when the talkies came, there were too many men who could look dapper, and he just fell by the wayside. He was quite good in all he did, but had nothing really that stood him out from the crowd.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Wed May 02, 2018 5:17 am

Donald Binks wrote:He was good foil to Victor McLaglen and got a good following in the pictures they made together. I just think that when the talkies came, there were too many men who could look dapper, and he just fell by the wayside. He was quite good in all he did, but had nothing really that stood him out from the crowd.
Right, I agree. He shows up in an awful lot of films from the classic era, and almost always does a good job, but he is completely unmemorable. He had no distinctive features.

There was a period in the 1990s when every young male actor was named either Jason or Matthew, and every Jason looked alike, and every Matthew looked alike. In the same way, every actor in the 1930s looked like either Edmund Lowe or Ronald Colman, depending on whether they had a moustache or not.

Jim

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Wed May 02, 2018 8:42 am

Lowe was capable and, in the hands of a strong director, could give a fine performance. He did have a tendency to ham it up, though. Sometimes this could be used to a movie's advantage -- Mad Holiday (1936) has him and Elissa Landi at Metro making fun of The Thin Man under George Seitz, and it's a hoot. Put him in a top hat, though, and I want to dump ice in the blender to make snowballs to throw at him.

As for Miss Nissen, she was another also-ran in the "We got a Garbo too!" competition. Nothing wrong with her, but there's really only one Greta.

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
— Bob Fells

CoffeeDan

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Wed May 02, 2018 1:20 pm

The first time I ever saw Edmund Lowe in a movie -- I think it may have been DINNER AT EIGHT -- he reminded me of Fearless Fosdick from the L'il Abner comic strip, and I've never quite shaken that association. I do like him in a debonair but slightly seedy performance like BLACK SHEEP or GUILTY AS HELL, where he carelessly flicks his cigarette ash on a corpse.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu May 31, 2018 9:02 pm

So one of the things people mentioned above was wanting to see more directors and other behind the scenes folks on the masthead. So I thought about who had gotten some attention lately and actually it was pretty easy—with two Fairbanks and three Swanson films recently released on video, as well as a couple of titles in the Fox retrospective at MOMA, this is Allan Dwan's moment if he's ever going to have one. I put him with two of the recently released titles from Kino Lorber, and then added a 50s James M. Cain adaptation to reflect the longevity of his career, from silents to widescreen Technicolor.

Wm. Charles Morrow

Unread post by Wm. Charles Morrow » Thu May 31, 2018 9:25 pm

Good choice! A few years ago MoMA saluted Dwan with a retrospective of films from his entire career. I went to several, and it was striking how different each one was from the others. You’d never guess they were directed by the same guy. Some might say he lacked an idiosyncratic style, but I call it versatility.
-- Charlie Morrow

Ann Harding

Unread post by Ann Harding » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:25 am

What a coincidence! Yesterday I watched DAVID HARUM (1915) and thought that Dwan had done a brilliant job. Great director!

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:10 am

Dwan has long been one of my favorites. A fine technical director who showed a great eye early on, somehow got performances that showed the actors were were having a good time *Fairbanks, sure, but also William Crane, Swanson, Dennis O'Keefe...) led the way into a moving sound matrix... and directed over 500 movies, so there's a lot left to see. I think his stuff declined in the 1950s when he turns auteurish and repetitive, but everyone is entitled to a few clunkers. His version of Brewster's Millions is incredibly high-speed farce and his work with Shirley Temple resulted in me having a sister about to turn 72 named Heidi.

Plus he was born in Toronto, so Jim will stop complaining for a month.

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
— Bob Fells

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:12 am

boblipton wrote:Dwan has long been one of my favorites. A fine technical director who, like showed a great eye early on, somehow got performances that showed the actors were were having a good time *Fairbanks, sure, but also William Crane, Swanson, Dennis O'Keefe...) led the way into a moving sound matrix... and directed over 500 movies, so there's a lot left to see. I think his stuff declined in the 1950s when he turns auteurish and repetitive, but everyone is entitled to a few clunkers. His version of Brewster's Millions is incredibly high-speed farce and his work with Shirley Temple resulted in me having a sister about to turn 72 named Heidi.

Plus he was born in Toronto, so Jim will stop complaining for a month.

Bob
Just wait until July 1st, Canada Day...

Jim

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:03 pm

Years ago I found a picture of Marlene Dietrich and Josef von Sternberg to use on the masthead, and got it all outlined and ready to go. Then it turned out that that was the exact picture Criterion used for their Von Sternberg and Dietrich set.

So I used von Sternberg from that picture but found a different picture of Dietrich that would put her in the spotlight and von Sternberg back in the distance... seemed to describe their working relationship and the way she took over his life pretty well, at least how he seems to have felt about by the time of The Devil Is a Woman.

Anyway, here's the main thread about that set, which comes out on Tuesday.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:25 am

Mike Gebert wrote:Image

Years ago I found a picture of Marlene Dietrich and Josef von Sternberg to use on the masthead, and got it all outlined and ready to go. Then it turned out that that was the exact picture Criterion used for their Von Sternberg and Dietrich set.

So I used von Sternberg from that picture but found a different picture of Dietrich that would put her in the spotlight and von Sternberg back in the distance... seemed to describe their working relationship and the way she took over his life pretty well, at least how he seems to have felt about by the time of The Devil Is a Woman.

Anyway, here's the main thread about that set, which comes out on Tuesday.
Wonderful Canadians, both of 'em!

Jim

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:48 am

You're velcome.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:17 pm

I'm a bit surprised that Powell & Pressburger have never figured in a masthead. This is, of course, A Matter Life of Death, aka Stairway to Heaven, with Kim Hunter (who technically has been on a masthead before, briefly) and David Niven, freshly out from Criterion; again, a choice inspired at least in part by the discussion above of who you'd like to see, though I'm saving Roger Livesey and Wendy Hiller for when they finally remaster I Know Where I'm Going.

We're starved for Technicolor on NitrateVille mastheads.

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:13 pm

Mike Gebert wrote: We're starved for Technicolor on NitrateVille mastheads.
No problem....

please leave your money on top of the fridge on your way out...... :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:16 am

You're slipping, Mike, offering me an image I recognized at first shot.

Maybe next July you can use something from 49th Parallel with all its well-known Canuckistani actors to placate Jim: Leslie Howard, Anton Walbrook, Glynnis Johns.....

Bob
— Bob Fells

greta de groat

Unread post by greta de groat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:20 pm

boblipton wrote:You're slipping, Mike, offering me an image I recognized at first shot.

Maybe next July you can use something from 49th Parallel with all its well-known Canuckistani actors to placate Jim: Leslie Howard, Anton Walbrook, Glynnis Johns.....

Bob
Oh, you can't forget Olivier and the plaid shirt.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

MaryGH

Unread post by MaryGH » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Guess who's birthday is next week?

To celebrate 115 years? :)

Just an idea.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:40 pm

So a few months back I asked for suggestions for the masthead and I'm acting on that when I don't have something scheduled for an anniversary of this and that. In any case, it will likely come as no surprise that the appearance of Mr. George Arliss on the masthead comes via a still provided by Bob Fells. Unfortunately, if he told me what film, I've forgotten, but it's one of the mid-30s comedy-dramas, I'm sure.

Arliss was more of a figure seen in cartoons than someone I saw in movies for many years, I feared his historical dramas would be dull going. I was wrong, of course, and particularly like The House of Rothschild now, but most of all I like Arliss's comedies; a sly old boots with decades on the stage to learn what works, he knows how to sell a comedy with some human wisdom inside it better than practically anybody. I just enjoyed him at Capitolfest in his last silent (1924) before returning to the movies for Disraeli, Twenty Dollars a Week.

Hamilton's Grandson

Unread post by Hamilton's Grandson » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:44 pm

A Successful Calamity 1932 ......?
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:22 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:40 pm

... the appearance of Mr. George Arliss on the masthead ...
Mr. Fells must be walking on air! :D Good choice!
Regards from
Donald Binks

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:17 am

Arliss Alert!

Bob
— Bob Fells

R Michael Pyle

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Ah, Mr. Arliss!!! Thank you!