Boxed Sets

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
Jim Roots

Boxed Sets

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue May 04, 2021 8:03 am

In various threads, there have been frequent references lamenting the demise of boxed sets. I'm one of those who loves boxed sets, and who is a completist (the two usually go together).

Unobstructed View, the Canadian e-store through which Criterion and many other USA companies sell their product here to avoid the insane shipping charges from the States, just sent out an announcement of the 30% off Criterion sale they will have parallel to Criterion's own 30% off sale. Jonathan Gross, who runs UV, wrote a great little blurb about boxed sets as gifts for Father's Day, which I'd like to share with you all:

"What do men like? Boxed sets. Because we are completists by nature, and if we can’t own the whole shebang, we just don’t feel whole. Like who orders a six-inch from Subway? Really?"

Bing, bang, boom!

Jim,
who has never ordered a six-inch from Subway.

Zepfanman

Re: Boxed Sets

Unread post by Zepfanman » Tue May 04, 2021 11:00 am

Last year's Agnes Varda boxed set is the epitome of a completist's dream. Definitely my favorite movie-related purchase of 2020, with a 200-page illustrated book to boot! Available here: https://www.unobstructedview.com/produc ... varda-the/
~ J. J. ~ My Zepfanman.com 10 Years 10 Films series (starts in 1888)
~ Disc collection on Blu-ray.com ~ I co-host the Cast50 Movie Podcast

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Wed May 05, 2021 9:54 am

Personally, I'm waiting for The Complete Coronation Street despite the fact that it has been running since 1960. As at September 20th 2017, the total was 192 days, 20 hrs...

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Wed May 05, 2021 11:21 am

I wanted to get The Complete Doc Martin boxed set, covering seasons 1-6, but then I learned there would be a season 7 and it would be the last one. So now I'm waiting for The More Complete Complete Doc Martin set.

Jim

wingate

Unread post by wingate » Wed May 05, 2021 1:28 pm

I have just bought Universals 24 title box set of Abbott and Costello.
More for the appearances of Ella Fitzgerald, The Andrews Sisters and Boris Karl off.

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Thu May 06, 2021 3:04 am

Jim Roots wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:21 am
I wanted to get The Complete Doc Martin boxed set, covering seasons 1-6, but then I learned there would be a season 7 and it would be the last one. So now I'm waiting for The More Complete Complete Doc Martin set.

Jim
Just so long as it contains the classic sex scene with Stephanie Cole on the kitchen table. Must be that Cornish air...

Harlowgold

Unread post by Harlowgold » Fri May 07, 2021 3:34 pm

I kind of resented the original Warner "boxed sets" that through together 5 or 6 movies that had no real connection other than being of the same genre; I only bought the Romantic comedy or whatever it was called with DINNER AT EIGHT, TO BE OR NOT TO BE, etc. because I loved every movie in it. I threw away the actually box at some point since each movie was in an individual case and I could then file them as I wished. That Kino set with of five titles with various movie queens was rather weird but I bought it since it was the cheapest way to get the two or three titles I wanted via a deepdiscount sale, ended up selling the other singles on ebay and actually making a profit.

I don't like the sets that put one dvd on top of another and almost didn't buy the Beverly Hillbillies CBS five-season set because of it even though it was drastically cheaper than getting them by season.

Silent short films though in boxed sets are the best. Love them.