What movie-related goodies did you get for Christmas?

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
silentfilm

What movie-related goodies did you get for Christmas?

Unread post by silentfilm » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:59 pm

The most interesting thing that I got was the Thanhouser Films CD ROM encyclopedia. It has synopses of films, performer biographies, photographs and film clips.

My wife also bought me The Girl from God's Country: Nell Shipman and the Silent Cinema by Kay Armatage. Unfortunately, the Barnes & Noble website said that it was in stock, and they didn't actually have a copy, so it may be a couple of weeks before I actually get to read it. I also received Out of the Inkwell: Max Fleisher and the Animation Revolution by Richard Fleisher.

My wife bought me the Chaplin 5-disc DVD set from Madacy. She didn't know that Madacy have a reputation for crummy DVDs. While I already have the Essanay and Mutual films mostly already on DVD, and quite a few titles on 16mm too, I'll probably still watch the Keystone films on it, because there are quite a few that I have not seen.

Later films that I received on DVD Jurassic Park (a favorite), For Your Eyes Only (a Bond Favorite), The Living Daylights, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (another favorite) and Shane. So I've got quite a few things to watch and read in the next few weeks!

Murnau

Unread post by Murnau » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:17 am

At first I got that Murnau, Borzage and Fox on Tuesday. It wasn’t actually a Christmas gift, but because of its price, I said to my parents and my sister, that don’t buy anything but give me the money for this box.

My wife bought me two DVDs (Jean Renoir’s Toni and Anthony Asquith’s A Cottage on Dartmoor). She bought also one book, John Ford – the Complete Films (Scott Eyman, Paul Duncan). Ford is one of my favorites and this book seems excellent: a lot of fascinating photos and a short history too. Quite sad to read the silent part – nearly every photo has a text “a lost film”.

deverett

Unread post by deverett » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:32 am

My wife made me a piece of artwork of clara bow where she mixed together a number of elements such as film titles, important names, a picture from IT similar to my tattoo, and her signature, etc. into this collage/image transfer onto a canvas...It is pretty awesome.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:36 am

Well, this was a year when my wife took care of birthday and Christmas (ten days apart) by ordering a very large box from Deepdiscount.com. Which is not a problem for me.

Besides Murnau-Borzage for my birthday, I got the Fairbanks set, Treasures From American Film Archives #3 (too bad I just watched the one I most wanted to see, The Godless Girl, but I'm sure many others will prove interesting), The Avenging Conscience (an exception to my general disinterest in Griffith) and the Budd Boetticher set. (Deepdiscount evidently had a very good Christmas too, as that was more than I expected... time for a few months of frugal hunkering down with new movies to watch!)
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

stairstars

Unread post by stairstars » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:33 am

Although I got this little guy several weeks ago, he was and is my holiday cheer.

Polished bronze figure of the Pathe rooster, cast in NYC, and perched atop two film reels with leaders. So far, I have not found an ad or poster that uses this device. The phonograph division has him standing on a record disc.

Since, he has two threaded holes underneath, I think he may have been a hood ornament for staff or maybe even Berst himself.

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:28 pm

I got the Flicker Alley Valentino set (wonderful) and a portable DVD player- I haden't realized they were cheap!

On the less classic side I also got Hellboy II (enjoyable) and tonight we all went out to see The Curious Case of Banjamin Button. I thought it was quite a nice movie and certainly one of the best looking films I've seen in years. See it for the period atmosphere if nothing else.
Eric Stott

James Bazen

Unread post by James Bazen » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:08 pm

Wow, I actually bought all of my movie-related gifts to myself. Amazon had a great sale on boxed sets.

I bought Volumes 1 and 2 of the Busby Burkeley collection. I also got the Gary Cooper collection which is 5 films on 2 discs featuring many of his Paramount films from the 30's. I bought the Eclipse/Criterion set of Lubitsch musicals

I also bought the Tyrone Power matinee idol set. And I picked up the Hayakawa Milestone DVD of The Dragon Painter.

From Kino, I bought The Baseball set, I got the Sjostrom DVD featuring Terje Vigen/Ingeborg Holm, and I got the Cottage on Dartmoor DVD.

I also bought several DVD's from Grapevine taking advantage of their brief December sale.

I also got the Image DVD of True Heart Susie/Hoodoo Ann.

So, I cleaned up quite a bit.

misspickford9

Unread post by misspickford9 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:35 pm

My family are what you call...hicks (who are scared to use the internet and think everything can be found in rural Iowa) so when they offered me the crass gift of cash I took it and RAN LOL!!!

Thus I got a lot of good silent stuff. Several books "When the movies were young" by Linda Arvidson, "Dark Lady of the Silents" by Miriam Cooper, "Pickford the woman who made Hollywood", "Vamp the rise and fall of Theda Bara", and "Storheim".

Im dying to see some Pickford talkies but so few are on DVD that I resolved Id just invest the money into books and go to UCLA sometime in the next month (must.see.Kiki.). I would still like to get a copy of "Monsieur Beaucaire" though.

barry byrne

Unread post by barry byrne » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:10 am

That is a nice big bird from Pathe.

You may already know that there are ceramic Pathe roosters out there, the speculation is that they were awards to exhibitors, but that is just a guess.

No cinema related presents this year and my emergency Preston Sturges box set has yet to be pressed into service.

Frederica

Unread post by Frederica » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:06 am

My Christmas buddies and I stopped giving presents a long time ago, now we settle for a magnificent feast, huge amounts of alcohol, and the traditional Christmas Day showing of The Crawling Eye (because nothing says Christmas like giant malevolent alien eyeballs invading Switzerland). But in between T-Day and Christmas I was given a sweet little iPod Nano--it's bright pink and it's engraved with the words "Somewhere, someone has on pink tango bloomers." That doesn't mean anything to y'all yet, but it does to me.

iPods are beyond cool, by the way.

This year I added a few more favorite Christmas movies to my stash and replaced a few of those I'd recorded years ago with the newer releases; none of them were silents but most of them are classics. I added two that I'd never seen before, Miracle on 34th Street and White Christmas. No, I don't know why I hadn't seen them before, I just hadn't. There are a few I willy-nilly define as Christmas movies that aren't traditionally held to be Christmas movies--things like The Thin Man (which takes place at Christmas) and Meet Me in St. Louis. The one I'm missing is the aforediscussed weep-fest, It's a Wonderful Life. Maybe next year. I also put a few of the newer Christmas efforts on my Netflix queue; two of them (A Christmas Story and The Polar Express) are keepers, so they'll be on my list for next year.

Fred
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com" target="_blank"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp" target="_blank"

stairstars

Unread post by stairstars » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:12 am

That is a nice big bird from Pathe.
Thanks, for the info, Barry. I certainly would love to find a ceramic one as well.

rick

PS. The image is enlarged to show detail. The rooster is actually just under 5 inches tall.

WaverBoy

Unread post by WaverBoy » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:18 pm

I had the Fairbanks box on my list, but it didn't show. However, I did get the Marx Bros. Silver Screen Collection (already had the Warner box, so now I'm in Marxist heaven), the Criterion re-release of M, and THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS. And, for myself, I picked up Kino's beautiful new version of THE GENERAL, and a box set of Rankin/Bass Xmas specials. I think I did pretty good.

azjazzman

Unread post by azjazzman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:19 am

Frederica wrote: Christmas I was given a sweet little iPod Nano--it's bright pink and it's engraved with the words "Somewhere, someone has on pink tango bloomers." That doesn't mean anything to y'all yet, but it does to me.
I am intrigued by the inclusion of the word "yet" in that last sentence.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and it certainly sounds like you did!

--azjazzman

rudyfan

Unread post by rudyfan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:35 am

Frederica wrote:I was given a sweet little iPod Nano--it's bright pink and it's engraved with the words "Somewhere, someone has on pink tango bloomers." That doesn't mean anything to y'all yet, but it does to me.

iPods are beyond cool, by the way.
I know about tango bloomers!
Frederica wrote:This year I added a few more favorite Christmas movies to my stash .... I also put a few of the newer Christmas efforts on my Netflix queue; two of them (A Christmas Story and The Polar Express) are keepers, so they'll be on my list for next year.

Fred
I adore A Christmas Story, I think it is almost my favorite Xmas film now.

Back on topic, I received a lovely vintage large Pompeian Ad/flat with Mary Pickford and the new Thalberg Years book by Mark Viera and the David Skal bio of Claude Rains. :-) Good stuff!
http://www.rudolph-valentino.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://nitanaldi.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://www.dorothy-gish.com" target="_blank" target="_blank

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:46 am

Frederica wrote:This year I added a few more favorite Christmas movies to my stash and replaced a few of those I'd recorded years ago with the newer releases; none of them were silents but most of them are classics. I added two that I'd never seen before, Miracle on 34th Street and White Christmas. No, I don't know why I hadn't seen them before, I just hadn't. There are a few I willy-nilly define as Christmas movies that aren't traditionally held to be Christmas movies--things like The Thin Man (which takes place at Christmas)

Fred
Truly, we were meant for each other, Frederica: I bought the Complete Thin Man Collection on Boxing Day and watched the first film on Saturday.

As a follow-up to the contretemps I created earlier regarding Alice Faye movies, I kept my on-line promise and bought vol. 2 ... which, incidentally, had finally been marked down by ten bucks. Couldn't find any copies of vol. 1.

On the contemporary front, I got Borat and season one of Mad Men.

I spent over a month dithering about the Kino discount sale, and had the matter taken out of my hands when something happened to my Internet Explorer. Anybody else have this problem? You download the emergency patch and regularly-scheduled update a couple of weeks ago, and suddenly Internet Explorer is not connecting with any sites, or else it's downloading them so slowly you can't possibly function. I don't know why today it's working better (maybe the two power failures in Kanata last night cleared out some debris) but I doubt this respite is going to last long.

Jim

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:23 pm

Firefox, Jim, and I'm not suggesting Clint Eastwood movies of the 80s.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Dustin

Unread post by Dustin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:27 pm

I don't really do Christmas, but over the last couple months, I've bought a few DVDs (A Man There Was was my favorite), a half dozen 16mm and 8mm films (Selig films, I'm trying to collect them all), and a 35mm print described as "Potemkin extracts" (which I haven't gotten yet and I hope turns out to be the Odessa steps sequence, but it was cheap so it doesn't really matter).

I collect Vitagraph stuff particularly, and I bought a nice little collection of Vitagraph lobby cards (in pretty poor shape, but for a dollar per card, I can't complain) and my prize--a Vitagraph exhibitors catalogue, with summaries and/or scene breakdowns of about 40 films, several with pictures:

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:32 pm

Wow, that Vitagraph catalog is a beauty!

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:52 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Firefox, Jim, and I'm not suggesting Clint Eastwood movies of the 80s.
Yeah, Firefox is what I use at work, but not at home. When the problems started here, I tried downloading Firefox to replace stupid Microsoft Inyereye Upyerass, or whatever it's called. Normal download time for Firefox: over 2 hours! Since the problem with MS is hopeless slowness and complete inability to connect to most sites, it took me three tries to even reach Mozilla and start the download. After four hours of downloading, it timed me out! So I can't even get Firefox to replace this stupid damned program!

Jim

rudyfan

Unread post by rudyfan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:56 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Mike Gebert wrote:Firefox, Jim, and I'm not suggesting Clint Eastwood movies of the 80s.
Yeah, Firefox is what I use at work, but not at home. When the problems started here, I tried downloading Firefox to replace stupid Microsoft Inyereye Upyerass, or whatever it's called. Normal download time for Firefox: over 2 hours! Since the problem with MS is hopeless slowness and complete inability to connect to most sites, it took me three tries to even reach Mozilla and start the download. After four hours of downloading, it timed me out! So I can't even get Firefox to replace this stupid damned program!

Jim
Can't you download and copy the exe on a flash drive to bring home? Or, order a CD from Firefox.
http://www.rudolph-valentino.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://nitanaldi.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://www.dorothy-gish.com" target="_blank" target="_blank

deverett

Unread post by deverett » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:48 am

Dustin wrote:I don't really do Christmas, but over the last couple months, I've bought a few DVDs (A Man There Was was my favorite), a half dozen 16mm and 8mm films (Selig films, I'm trying to collect them all), and a 35mm print described as "Potemkin extracts" (which I haven't gotten yet and I hope turns out to be the Odessa steps sequence, but it was cheap so it doesn't really matter).

I collect Vitagraph stuff particularly, and I bought a nice little collection of Vitagraph lobby cards (in pretty poor shape, but for a dollar per card, I can't complain) and my prize--a Vitagraph exhibitors catalogue, with summaries and/or scene breakdowns of about 40 films, several with pictures:
Ah congratulations on the vitagraph catalog - i was the next highest bidder on that one. It really is a nice piece.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:14 pm

rudyfan wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:

Jim
Can't you download and copy the exe on a flash drive to bring home? Or, order a CD from Firefox.
I'm on holidays, Donna. I did try to download to a flash drive from my family's computer, but all 4 kids need to use that machine for their schoolwork (yes, over the holidays!) and they keep disconnecting my 2-hour download, so the heck with it.

Anyway, it seems to be getting back to normal now. I'm able to connect with Nitrateville and post some replies there, and that's the only thing in the entire world that matters. Right, Mike?

Jim

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:52 pm

Jim, have you tried deleting your temporary Internet files and your cookies? Tools->Internet Options->General.

Decotodd

Unread post by Decotodd » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:21 pm

I got the Murnau/Borzage box set from a friend (who has yet to deliver it in the flesh!), American in Paris 2-disc DVD, Looney Tunes Vol. 6, and DVD release of Boys in the Band.

We watched "Boys" last night, which saw once about 20 years ago and disliked. However, I really thought it was fantastic the 2nd time around (maybe I'm older and can appreciate it in a different way). The transfer and print are spectacular -- looking forward to reviewing the extras.

Frederica, I finally saw "White Christmas" for the first time about 2 years ago and must confess that I much prefer "Holiday Inn." The finale party for the general had my jaw on the floor it was so awful.
Democracy depends on informed citizens and elections have consequences -- vote!

Ray Faiola

Unread post by Ray Faiola » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:21 am

I bought myself a beautiful 16mm AAP print of MILDRED PIERCE. My family knows better than to buy me movie stuff!
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Frederica

Unread post by Frederica » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:52 am

Decotodd wrote: Frederica, I finally saw "White Christmas" for the first time about 2 years ago and must confess that I much prefer "Holiday Inn." The finale party for the general had my jaw on the floor it was so awful.
I didn't like WC much, either, even though it has Crosby and Clooney, possibly my two favorite pop singers ever. I too far prefer Holiday Inn. Our Harlett, though, is a confirmed WC fan and as he pointed out, it might be that whichever of the two films you see first is the one you bond to. I am bonded to Bing and Fred.

Fred
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com" target="_blank"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp" target="_blank"

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:09 pm

silentfilm wrote:Jim, have you tried deleting your temporary Internet files and your cookies? Tools->Internet Options->General.
Yep. I'm quite religious about running all the efficiency/security programs on this laptop. All the updates are done weekly. Full scans for viruses and spyware, etc., are done at least biweekly. Defrag and disk-clean are done monthly.

Since no one else has reported problems starting around the time of the emergency Inyereye Upyerarse patch, I have to assume it was something else that somehow got into my computer. I've been doing the scans daily this week just in case.

Jim

radiotelefonia

Unread post by radiotelefonia » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:08 pm

I just managed to get a video of ¡PERDON VIEJITA! (1927).

The quality if far from perfect but this is great. I'll have to change the ersatz soundtrack put a more contemporary one featuring the title song while I'm waiting to receive a recording of it lifted directly from one of the few Vitaphone (Sidetone) discs that have been preserved by Héctor Lorenzo Lucci.

I will also create English subtitles.

Jim Reid

A 16mm Christmas

Unread post by Jim Reid » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:10 pm

I picked up nice 16mm prints of two early 30s Paramounts. Six of a Kind, with W.C., Burns & Allen, Charlie Ruggles & Mary Boland. I also picked up We're Not Dressing, with Bing Crosby, Carole Lombard and Burns & Allen. Haven't seen this one before, so it'll be especially fun screening that.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:44 am

As noted somewhere on this board, I picked up The Complete Thin Man Collection on Boxing Day. Without checking the synopses in advance, my family and I found ourselves watching the first film that same evening; it was set around Christmas.

Last night, again without checking (cheating) on the synopsis, we watched the second film ... which turned out to be set around New Year's Eve.

Co-in-ky-dink, or conspiracy? You be the judge.

We're hoping the third film is set around Valentine's Day, the fourth on St Patrick's Day, the fifth on Easter, and then for the final film maybe they went to Canada to celebrate Victoria Day. Don't give us any spoilers, please! (Hey, I'm just kidding in this paragraph ... We're not going to wait that long to watch the rest of the films in the set. They're too enjoyable!)

Jim