Nitrate Laurel & Hardy print on eBay

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:24 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Laurel-and-Har ... 2580652938

It's a Czech print of You're Darn Tootin' (1928)!

Also, there is a nitrate 35mm print of Why Girls Love Sailors (1927).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Laurel-and-Har ... 2580671094

Hamilton's Grandson

Re: Nitrate Laurel & Hardy print on eBay

Unread post by Hamilton's Grandson » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:31 pm

Silent era.com mentions these two titles as available on an Image Entertainment DVD in 2000 under a Hal Roach collection from '27 nd '28 , but who knows if these are scored or would assume intertitles in English instead of czech.
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

Darren Nemeth

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:34 pm

I just put in my bids.

I ask no one bids against me. Seriously.

If I am a winner they will promptly go to an archive along with other nitrate I have here. No donors restrictions. I don't plan on keeping them.
"How to Film Moving Pictures in the 1910's" by Darren Nemeth
https://darren-nemeth.squarespace.com/h ... the-1910s/

Hamilton's Grandson

Unread post by Hamilton's Grandson » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:10 pm

Darren,

How does shipping from Czech republic work for nitrate?

Don't ask what is in the box and just ship it?

Which archive do you work with?

Just curious as I am not bidding against you .

Darren Nemeth

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:08 pm

I will soon find out.

I dont work with any archive.

Every so often I find lost films and donate.

Hamilton's Grandson

Unread post by Hamilton's Grandson » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi Darren,

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Dana

Bor Enots

Unread post by Bor Enots » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:06 pm

Darren,
Would love to get them at the Library of Congress. The Laurel solo and the others would compliment what we already have here and could help towards full preservation.

JFK

Unread post by JFK » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:31 am

ImageImageImageImageImage
Here are images from five of the six auctions ending Monday and Tuesday.
Click on the images for much larger more detailed versions.

1. If the experts on this site feel the image quality for the 6 films (one of them is 16mm)
exceeds that of other known copies, here is what I propose.
2. Mr Nemeth sends me a PM telling which films
he will be bidding on, and his top bid for each.
3. Then, I will, within my limited means, add to his
bids on each film.....
4. provided that each film won from this batch is shipped directly
from the dealer-seller to the Library of Congress.

Keep in mind that this dealer apparently may be offering additional titles,
some "lost"- and some yet unknown to him.
Last edited by JFK on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darren Nemeth

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:17 pm

1. If the experts on this site feel the image quality for the 6 films (one of them is 16mm)
exceeds that of other known copies, here is what I propose.
2. Mr Nemeth sends me a PM telling which films
he will be bidding on, and his top bid for each.
3. Then, I will, within my limited means, add to his
bids on each film.....
4. provided that each film won from this batch is shipped directly
from the dealer-seller to the Library of Congress.

Keep in mind that this dealer apparently may be offering additional titles,
some "lost"- and some yet unknown to him.
PM sent.

Please, do not bid on these.

cellulo

Unread post by cellulo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:23 am

Friends,
I believe this films should eventually go either to UCLA (who is currently handling the restoration of the laurel and hardy shorts) or AMPAS, where all the Blackhawk fine grains and dupes are located (which is the same in the end, all the nitrates are deposited in Santa Clarita). I wish to include these nitrates in the Blackhawk-FPA collection, who already has major deposits in these two archives, and would be glad if no one bid against me. I have never been difficult with anyone for access to our material when legitimate, and laurel and hardy and Keaton are exactly in our alley.
I must also add that we have all these film in 35mm, and being located in Europe (Lobster Films, Paris) and fully equiped with scanners and all it takes to restore films, we are in the best position to compare all the materials, and let everyone know if there is any major discovery here.
FYI, WEDDING NIGHT and FORZEN HEARTS do survive complete on 35mm on safety preservation material at Lobster and in a few other major archives. They are already published oin our DVD or Blu Rays. I'd like to try to get them anyway.
Best
Serge BROMBERG, Blackhawk/FPA - Lobster Films (Paris)
Serge

cellulo

Unread post by cellulo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:41 am

I must add that FROZEN HEARTS (Kino release on the 2000's) was printed from our pristine 35mm dupe negative, with all original titles (but without the tint, of course).
Serge

Hamilton's Grandson

Unread post by Hamilton's Grandson » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi Serge,

I donated 35 mm nitrate materials a month or so ago and coordinated with Rosa, head of collections at UCLA Film and Television Archives on this endeavor. The only snafu was the process of shipping nitrate which I have mentioned in previous posts as the shipping method has to meet US Dept of Transportation and US Hazardous Materials shipment protocol. They drove to the Seattle area from LA to accept the donations from me due in part to the complexity of shipping nitrate. I applaud donation efforts by archivists to any archive especially to LOC, UCLA , and others that prioritize preservation.

Not to change the subject, but have you had any experience with CNC Bois D'Arcy on viewing nitrate in their archives?

I am trying to some day view Smoke Bellew 1929 (Conway Tearle, Barbara Bedford, Mark Hamilton) which they evidently have in their archive and have written to them twice in english via email inquiring on their archive's process of visiting their facilities in Paris and never got any reply perhaps because my french is bad.

Regards,
Dana

cellulo

Unread post by cellulo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi Dana.
Living in Paris, asking me if I am used to dealing with teh CNC archive is like asking me if I know about the Eiffel tower. Of course, I work every day with the CNC film archive and the Cinemathèque française. Wtching films there is complex, must be planned in advance, but it is always possible.
Maybe we can continue this conversation via Email, not to interfere too much with the Nitrateville comunity. My Email is [email protected]" target="_blank.
Best
Serge
Serge

Thad Komorowski

Unread post by Thad Komorowski » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:43 pm

That guy in Prague is going to have one very happy new year.

Hamilton's Grandson

Unread post by Hamilton's Grandson » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:59 pm

Serge,

Thanks for the info. I will contact you directly.

Regards,
Dana

Marr&Colton

Unread post by Marr&Colton » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:50 pm

FYI----the Image DVD release of the year 2000 is not the best quality. The British L&H set with both sound and silents is the best quality on the silents so far. Here's hoping we get some gorgeous restorations soon.

JFK

Unread post by JFK » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:04 pm

cellulo wrote:Friends,
I believe this films should eventually go either to UCLA (who is currently handling the restoration of the laurel and hardy shorts) or AMPAS, where all the Blackhawk fine grains and dupes are located I'd like to try to get them anyway.....
Best
Serge BROMBERG, Blackhawk/FPA - Lobster Films (Paris)
1. Ideally, the shorts would all be won by someone who scans them to the highest resolution, posts them all online for free, then
donates the nitrate prints to the LOC.
(Full disclosure- I have pledged a modest amount to Mr Nemeth - a man I do not know- to be applied towards the purchase of the current five 35mm films- with my payment to be made to him once any of the films he wins are in the possession of the LOC).
2. I’m not entirely certain Mr B has presented a convincing case in his company’s behalf. Some might argue Lobster’s participation in the recent Keaton shorts collection would almost seem to disqualify it from winning the auctions (read, for example, this thread or this thread).

cellulo

Unread post by cellulo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:26 pm

Thank you JFK.
A few precisions, though.
I have nothing to do with the current restorations of the Laurel and Hardy availble on DVD (they are controlled by Universal), and I do share your point of view - they could be much much improved.
But most of all, I do not appreciate your nasty words regarding my 30 years dedicated to finding and preserving films, and certainly do not need to advocate for myself. Everyone, I hope, knows about Lobster's standard of work, and our dedication to the films we love.
I will bid on these films because I think we are the best chance to get these restorations done right, at 4K, fast, and on our money.
Then, the nitrates WILL go to an American archive, UCLA or AMPAS, and be made accessible to the LoC if they want to. Everyone at LoC - and all the other major archives in the US, know they just need to ask anything from our collection and they'll get it without condition, right away and of course for free.
Last but not least - because this is already the new year here in France: I do not admit to word "disqualified" which is impolite and absolutely brutal, I will forget about this conversation in 2018, which is now. Therefore, there will be no more message from me, Mister B, on Nitrateville. Sorry f I disturbed you, and bravo for Nitrateville.
Bonne année.
B
Serge

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:47 pm

Well, I am sorry to see that we have an illustrious visitor and treat him so rudely as to suggest that one of his important releases is to be scorned, and he ought not to be allowed to purchase a film on Ebay with his own money; and that we seem to feel the need to tar ourselves with the dyspeptic I-didn't-do-it-so-it-can't-be-good grumblings of another board, in addition to our own bad tempers.

I happily enjoy the Keaton shorts set, not least for the alternate version of The Blacksmith, and I have written Mr. Bromberg to offer apologies and hope that he will give us another chance.

As the new year begins, why don't we try to be pleasant towards the people who give us so much?
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:14 pm

Thank you, Mike.

Darren Nemeth

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:43 pm

cellulo wrote:Hi Dana.
Living in Paris, asking me if I am used to dealing with teh CNC archive is like asking me if I know about the Eiffel tower. Of course, I work every day with the CNC film archive and the Cinemathèque française. Wtching films there is complex, must be planned in advance, but it is always possible.
Maybe we can continue this conversation via Email, not to interfere too much with the Nitrateville comunity. My Email is [email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank.
Best
Serge

I will not bid on the films then. They are yours.

Would be cool to see if they are from foreign negatives.

:D

cellulo

Unread post by cellulo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:15 am

Hello all, and happy new year.

Thank you for your reaction on nitrateville, and thank you Darren. In case I get the films (I will bid fairly high, I promise), my next message on nitrateville will be to give an update about they are. It may take some time (I have to repatriate the other elements, and compare evrything after scanning), but I promise you'll get a complete update on those reels in the next months if they come to me.

And Darren, if you want tmporary access to those reels, we can always talk. I am not a black hole, and always like to share. That's what life is all about, and why David Shepard (who passed away last year, and donated all his money to film institutions) and ourlesves at Lobster spend most of our time restoring, publishing and showing films with energy and enthusiasm.

I cannot post the films as they were found, because as you know, there are copyright holders, and being a professional film preservationist, I have to be very careful with copyright matters. And chances are that for most of them, what we will find already survives. But who knows... Maybe a good surprise...

Happy new year to everyone, and let the search for lost nitrate films continue with success in 2018!

Bonne année.
Serge.
Serge

rogerP

Unread post by rogerP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:17 pm

Since I didn't save these auctions in my eBay watch list, I hope someone will post the results of these auctions. I'm hoping whoever does win will do the right thing with these films and not just squrrel them away I their private collections.

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:41 pm

Why Girls Love Sailors went for $1,136. You're Darn Tootin went for $676.66.

Matthew
Last edited by mwalls on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thad Komorowski

Unread post by Thad Komorowski » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:44 pm

That's the seller. The prints went to two different bidders.

The Big Business print went for $787.77, which is kind of ridiculous considering this short was fully preserved by LoC and this particular print is missing about a whopping 2.5 minutes.

Darren Nemeth

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:01 pm

Thad Komorowski wrote:That's the seller. The prints went to two different bidders.

The Big Business print went for $787.77, which is kind of ridiculous considering this short was fully preserved by LoC and this particular print is missing about a whopping 2.5 minutes.
Most, if not all, of these prints will be from foreign negatives. Alternate takes, angles and so on.

Annichen Skaren

Unread post by Annichen Skaren » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Regarding the print of HIS WEDDING NIGHT, the "lost" scene in that is not lost, it is on the latest Keaton set from Serge Bromberg. I was hoping for something new, but alas not this time.

Darren Nemeth

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:19 pm

cellulo wrote:And Darren, if you want temporary access to those reels, we can always talk. I am not a black hole, and always like to share. That's what life is all about, and why David Shepard (who passed away last year, and donated all his money to film institutions) and ourselves at Lobster spend most of our time restoring, publishing and showing films with energy and enthusiasm.
Thank you for the generous offer. I will wait for them to make it to video. :D

rogerP

Unread post by rogerP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:08 pm

Yeah, those are the winning bids but did any of our people win any of the films?!

jcp7701

Unread post by jcp7701 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:08 am

Almost one week later, and no update. Couldn't be yet another build-up that led to nothing or yet another thread left dangling? Is "I won," or "I lost" too much to ask after almost thirty postings about this?