F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:22 pm

Mike, I was this close to firing when I read that first line...
I really do have a certain regard for the hoax as an essential aspect of film appreciation. Many who love film have been tempted to enhance the historical record. Remember, even the ultra-respectable AFI catalog has Marooned Souls.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Jack Theakston

Unread post by Jack Theakston » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:34 pm

A hoax is only a hoax, of course, when it is exposed. Unfortunately, no one said "surprise!" with MacIntyre, and his reviews continue to fleece the public and people who should know better but don't. So yeah, I can understand the fun of a hoax, but it's only fun when everyone can laugh at it in the end.

That's the problem with recording history— it's easy to write it down, but difficulty in revising it it is tenfold.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Tommie Hicks

Unread post by Tommie Hicks » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:59 pm

That's the problem with recording history— it's easy to write it down, but difficulty in revising it it is tenfold. - Jack Theakston
Jack,

A superb quote. Is it yours? I should like to use it in my future history courses and give deserved credit.

Jack Theakston

Unread post by Jack Theakston » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Yes it is! Please send $5.00 in a SASE to...

(If you use it, feel free to expunge the second "to")
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

CoffeeDan

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:50 pm

Or you could say it this way:

"One man can write history, but it takes ten to revise it."

In other words, editing requires ten times more effort than writing. And every good writer knows the importance of a good editor. Send $4.55 of that $5.00 my way, Tommie . . .

CoffeeDan

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:38 pm

But getting back on topic, I visited F. G. MacIntyre's "alleged" website (his description, not mine) back when it was mentioned in this thread. Reading it was like watching a train wreck -- sad and tragic, yet fascinating. The home page featured FGM looking out from behind a tombstone.

But what boggled me was a 2008 blog entry in which he mourned the death of a fellow science-fiction writer (his name escapes me now) who committed suicide by setting fire to his apartment and dying in the blaze. While FGM lamented his friend's act, he thought it would be a spectacular end if and when the time came. I stopped reading after that . . .

Lokke Heiss

Unread post by Lokke Heiss » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:04 pm

I would imagine Occam's Razor keeps you from that horrible fate.
Unfortunately, I lost the handle to Occam's Razor, and the drugstores don't stock them anymore, so I have to go with the complicated answers.

And the complicated answer for this guy is that he had a personality disorder. If he had a 'simple' schizophrenia, then we could just say it was bad brain chemistry and somehow he would be excused, or at least explained. Personality disorders are harder to pigeon-hole. Why can we excuse some mental disorders and not others, especially those which are 'spectrum' disorders with many shades of gray? The Illinois ex-governor, Blagojevich, clearly has a narcissistic personality disorder for example, but that's not brought up in the news media. This guy was probably bipolar with a personality disorder to boot.
"You can't top pigs with pigs."

Walt Disney, responding to someone who asked him why he didn't immediately do a sequel to The Three Little Pigs

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:45 pm

I didn't get to see Upstream when it played in Los Angeles last month. MacEntyre reviewed it on June 18th. Is his review accurate?

He claims to have been able to see it at 20th Century Fox before it was even shown to the public. He even lets is slip, "Good job I saw this film before I reviewed it! "

Frederica

Unread post by Frederica » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:45 am

silentfilm wrote:I didn't get to see Upstream when it played in Los Angeles last month. MacEntyre reviewed it on June 18th. Is his review accurate?

He claims to have been able to see it at 20th Century Fox before it was even shown to the public. He even lets is slip, "Good job I saw this film before I reviewed it! "
Slightly off, not hugely wrong but wrong enough. He didn't see it.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com" target="_blank"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp" target="_blank"

George O'Brien

Unread post by George O'Brien » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:55 pm

"Upstream" employs Froggy's usual modus operandi. Open with a blanket of historical facts related to the film, which could have been gathered anywhere. Next include something about the plot, culled from old film magazines. Then some vague comments on the quality of the acting, and a personal tid bit or two about an actor.

All written in a breezy, pleasant style. And then he killed himself in that horrible way.

Scary. It reminds me of the happy videos that the members of the Flying Saucer Cult and their leader made before their mass suicide in Rancho Santa Fe. They were heavily into Sci Fi, too.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:45 am

Well..... I think FGM's style was off even if he saw the film. In my thread about Helen's Babies his review is mostly on target but there are weird lapses, like calling what are obviously Gypsies "Italians" ... unless that was supposed to be funny or an inside joke? He also states Clara Bow gets no closeups, but she does. And he rails about racial stereotyping, but the black servant characters have practically no screen time and have little to do with various plot devices.

And even there, reviewing a film that Bruce C. pointed out had actually been run the day before he (FGM) posted his review on IMDb, he's wildly vague about where and when he saw the film, and he likely has his dates wrong for meeting Diana Serra Cary at Pordenone if indeed he ever went there.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:26 pm

For those who wish to know, my copy of the September issue of THE MAGAZINE OF FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION has just arrived, and the last page has the regular 'Curiosities' feature with Mr. MacIntyre's discussion of Lucian of Samosata's TRUE HISTORY.

If anyone thinks this ironic, I understand.

Bob
Look into the pewter pot
To see the world as the world's not.

-- A.E. Housman

Lokke Heiss

Unread post by Lokke Heiss » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:06 pm

Well..... I think FGM's style was off even if he saw the film. In my thread about Helen's Babies his review is mostly on target but there are weird lapses, like calling what are obviously Gypsies "Italians" ... unless that was supposed to be funny or an inside joke? He also states Clara Bow gets no closeups, but she does. And he rails about racial stereotyping, but the black servant characters have practically no screen time and have little to do with various plot devices.
Exactly. That's why I felt so odd when I saw one of his reviews of a film I'd reviewed. It was like he'd only seen part of the film. That makes sense if his review was being constructed from dribs and drabs and hearsay, but not if you'd actually SEEN the film. It was like the reviews of the films he'd seen were more bogus than the ones he'd invented out of whole cloth.
"You can't top pigs with pigs."

Walt Disney, responding to someone who asked him why he didn't immediately do a sequel to The Three Little Pigs

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:28 am

Oh, dear. Mr. MacIntyre has made it into one of my favorite reads, Cecil Adams' THE STRAIGHT DOPE as a 'film historian.' In a piece about delusions of grandeur.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... on-complex

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look into the pewter pot

-- A.E. Housman

Frederica

Unread post by Frederica » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:58 am

boblipton wrote:Oh, dear. Mr. MacIntyre has made it into one of my faavorite reads, Cecil Adams' THE STRAIGHT DOPE as a 'film historian.' In a piece about delusions of grandeur.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... on-complex

Bob
IRONY EMOTICON.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com" target="_blank"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp" target="_blank"

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:39 pm

I read the bit on Laurel's Nuts in May In John McCabe's "Mr Laurel & Mr Hardy" (1968 or earlier) and FGM probably got his information from that source. His bogosity lives on after his death.
Eric Stott

Scoundrel

Unread post by Scoundrel » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:42 pm

" FGM .... His bogosity lives on after his death."

But he should not...

Let's drop FGM already.
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Marilyn Slater

A hoaxer is dead - and not grieved by me

Unread post by Marilyn Slater » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:01 am

The eccentric hoaxer, F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre died June 25, 2010 in Brooklyn, some information on his death is in Off Topic at Looking-for-Mabel, here is the direct link http://looking-for-mabel.webs.com/gwynplaine.htm

WaverBoy

Re: A hoaxer is dead - and not grieved by me

Unread post by WaverBoy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:41 pm

Marilyn Slater wrote:The eccentric hoaxer, F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre died June 25, 2010 in Brooklyn, some information on his death is in Off Topic at Looking-for-Mabel, here is the direct link http://looking-for-mabel.webs.com/gwynplaine.htm
The convicted torturer and attempted murderer F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre died June 25, 2010. Would that he was merely an "eccentric hoaxer".

Brooksie

Re: A hoaxer is dead - and not grieved by me

Unread post by Brooksie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:35 am

WaverBoy wrote:
Marilyn Slater wrote:The eccentric hoaxer, F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre died June 25, 2010 in Brooklyn, some information on his death is in Off Topic at Looking-for-Mabel, here is the direct link http://looking-for-mabel.webs.com/gwynplaine.htm
The convicted torturer and attempted murderer F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre died June 25, 2010. Would that he was merely an "eccentric hoaxer".
Without wishing to minimize the seriousness of these incidents, the fact that they and so much of his other behaviour appeared to be symptomatic of serious mental illness leads me to consider them in a matter that's not quite as black and white.

Marilyn Slater

Unread post by Marilyn Slater » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:55 am

After reading some of the reactions to Gwynplaines death, I found the email he sent out anf added them to the material I posted at Looking-for-Mabel... lying to the end...http://looking-for-mabel.webs.com/gwynplaine.htm

zigguraticus

F Gwynplaine MacIntyre

Unread post by zigguraticus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:50 am

In January 2010 FGM wrote me that he was about to direct a regional theatre play starring Laurence Luckinbill and Luckinbill's daughter Kate. He even attached a blurry snapshot of the 3 of them together. Nothing ever came of this project and I never asked. (Luckinbill, for those who do not know, is married to Lucie Arnaz, the daughter of Lucille Ball & Desi Arnaz.) I can't even find a whisper about this play anywhere in cyberspace. On another track, many people have denounced FGM as a hoaxer. From evidence presented in various posts, he was and was not. Through his efforts I was able to track down a couple of very hard-to-find vintage films on DVD from one of his private collector contacts.

Arndt

Re: F Gwynplaine MacIntyre

Unread post by Arndt » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:12 am

zigguraticus wrote: Through his efforts I was able to track down a couple of very hard-to-find vintage films on DVD from one of his private collector contacts.
Uh oh... I hope this post does not mean that the torch has been passed to a new generation. :shock:
"The greatest cinematic experience is the human face and it seems to me that silent films can teach us to read it anew." - Wim Wenders

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:42 pm

Not necessarily, Arndt. I have heard several of the regulars at MOMA talk about swapping various tapes and dvds of items I think highly improbable. While it is possible they are all hoaxers or balmy, it is also possible that, for example, they took advantage of some of the stranger items in Kim's Video collection before it retired. Although given a first posting by someone, I understand your attitude.

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look into the pewter pot

-- A.E. Housman

Jim Roots

Re: F Gwynplaine MacIntyre

Unread post by Jim Roots » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:43 pm

zigguraticus wrote:On another track, many people have denounced FGM as a hoaxer. From evidence presented in various posts, he was and was not.
Isn't that the very definition of a hoaxer?

Jim

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:01 pm

I was looking Victor Hugo's original novel The Man Who Laughs [up at Wikipedia] to see how much it resembled the movie, and ran across yet another instance of what is almost certainly the perniciousness of Mr. Macintyre in inventing "facts":
Pinball, a 1982 novel credited to Jerzy Kosinski, features a female character named Andrea Gwynplaine. As there is no parallel between Kosinski's novel and Hugo's, it was not immediately clear why this character was so oddly named. After Kosinski's death, it was determined that at least two uncredited “ghost writers” made substantial contributions to this novel and other works credited to Kosinski: one of those uncredited co-authors was journalist F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre, who had previously named himself after Hugo's protagonist, and who inserted the name “Gwynplaine” into the text of Pinball as a clue to his participation.
As much as one enjoys the wit involved in a fabulist attributing to himself the work of another fabulist, this strains credulity in that it would be like the author inserting his own name into one of William Shatner or Margaret Truman's supposed novels: cute joke, and it would be instantly removed by the editors who hired him, with a stern warning not to try anything like that again.

Of course, since it's in Wikipedia, it's now in lots of Macintyre's obituaries, like most of the other untrue facts of his life, and will live forever.

NOTE: clarification in 1st paragraph
Last edited by Mike Gebert on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:41 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Of course, since it's in Wikipedia, it's now in lots of Macintyre's obituaries, like most of the other untrue facts of his life, and will live forever.
I was surprised to see that he has his own entry in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._Gwynplaine_MacIntyre). Just imagine doing the fact checking on that one ... even under Wikipedia's rules, it fails the test (for example, by using another user-edited website, IMDb, as the sole source for several other pieces of information).

The update history for the user who created this entry makes some interesting reading - http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... 6.9.172.83 ... do I need to spell it out any further?

A great example of Stephen Colbert's `Wikiality'!

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:03 pm

Gwynplaine almost certainly wrote a long wikipedia article about himself. I remember reading it while it was still up. It has been greatly shortened and edited since then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:F._G ... _MacIntyre

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:47 am

Mike, where is your quote from? You don't list any source other than the Hugo novel, and since the quote refers to 1982, I take it it wasn't written by ol' Vic himself.

Jim

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:51 am

Oh whoops, I left out the words "at Wikipedia" in the opening paragraph. It's from the Wikipedia entry on The Man Who Laughs.