Announcing the 1st Annual "Watch That Movie" Night

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Announcing the 1st Annual "Watch That Movie" Night

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:10 pm

We've all got them—movies that we were excited to own, thrilled when they came in the mail, yet that we've never gotten around to watching. There they sit, the noble work of filmmakers, restorationists, musicians and love-over-money distributors... unwatched after all these years, silently (no pun intended) radiating guilt from our Ikea shelving.

Well, this year we're going to do something about it! This year, during the dog days of winter, we're going to sit down and watch at least one of them and post about it on NitrateVille. Well, at least I am, and I hope you will too. Because to give a little extra encouragement, if you...

1. Pick a classic era movie that's been in your collection for at least a year, unwatched. (DVD, VHS, 16mm, 9.5mm, whatever you have.)

2. Announce your choice in this thread.

3. Watch it on (or around) Friday, January 30th.

4. And post something, anything about it in this thread by midnight, Monday February 2nd...

...You'll be eligible for a drawing to win a copy of Kino on Video's wonderful new ultimate 2-disc DVD version of The General, with a stunning new HD transfer from 35mm and scores by Carl Davis and Lee Erwin, courtesy of our good friends at Kino. (Sorry, US and Canada posters only for the prize, but we'll be happy to hear from everybody all the same.)

So please join me in taking the "Watch That Movie!" Night pledge and announcing your choice over the coming days. Then be prepared for a great movie you might never have watched otherwise, and lots of interesting posts from NitrateVillains. If you've lurked but never posted before, what better way to make your first post than by joining in today!

So what's my "Watch That Movie!" movie choice? It's...

HINDLE WAKES
I first read about this surprisingly feminist British film when it played Cinecon. Like I'll ever get to see that, I thought, but sure enough soon it was announced, I preordered it... and there it's been on my shelf ever since. Finally, I'll find out what they knew about women in 1929.

Now, what will yours be?
Last edited by Mike Gebert on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

misspickford9

Unread post by misspickford9 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:26 pm

Luckily for me I dont have the attention span to sit and watch silents sometimes (I like to multitask) so I have a few to pick from :p. Mine will be Gloria Swanson's "Sadie Thompson"...I've been meaning to for awhile now LOL!

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:30 pm

Gee, Mike, I'd like to oblige, but if I buy a film -- on dvd for me, since there aren't that many issued on tape these days that aren't also offered on dvd -- it's because I want to look at it, so, unless I get in a lot of them, they don't sit around for more than a few days. So I don't have any on hand that I haven't looked at. My apologies for being such a bad Nitratevillain.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

Frederica

Unread post by Frederica » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:33 pm

misspickford9 wrote:Luckily for me I dont have the attention span to sit and watch silents sometimes (I like to multitask) so I have a few to pick from :p. Mine will be Gloria Swanson's "Sadie Thompson"...I've been meaning to for awhile now LOL!
Does Season Two of The Tudors count? No? Darn.

I have Orphans of the Storm sitting on my emphatically not Ikea shelves (sniff), so maybe I'll watch/review that. But no promises. You never know when a something featuring good codpieces will hit number one on your Netflix queue.

Fred
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com" target="_blank"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp" target="_blank"

Decotodd

Unread post by Decotodd » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm going to pick "The Iron Horse" -- I've had the John Ford set since last Xmas.
Democracy depends on informed citizens and elections have consequences -- vote!

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:02 pm

If I'm at home, and not traveling for work, it will be an still-wrapped Paramount VHS tape of W.C. Fields in Running Wild (1927). I still have one VCR/TV combo still in the house, but we got rid of the other VCRs a year or two ago. Since this film has never been released on DVD, it is probably my only chance to see it!

If I'm working out of the country, I'm stuck with the DVD player on my laptop. I've had DVDs of Intolerance, Les Vampires, and Some Like It Hot for over two years and have not watched them, so it will be one of those. I've seen Intolerance and Some Like It Hot, but it's been 10-15 years since I've seen them.

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:44 pm

OK, I'll play.......I'll make it LOVE PARADE since I've had it for ages (on tape for years and years before the recent DVD came out) and have still never seen it.

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:56 am

I'll give it a try. It'll be either EROTIKON, CRAINQUEBILLE or QUEEN OF ATLANTIS
Eric Stott

Arndt

Unread post by Arndt » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:50 am

For me it'll be FOOLISH WIVES. The French Ciné-Club DVD has been sitting on my (Ikea-!) shelves for more than two years now.
"The greatest cinematic experience is the human face and it seems to me that silent films can teach us to read it anew." - Wim Wenders

Penfold

Unread post by Penfold » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:27 am

Shockingly, I've never got around to fully seeing 'A Woman of Paris', so this seems like a good excuse to set aside some time and do just that. Yes, my shelves are Ikea also....
I could use some digital restoration myself...

Harlett O'Dowd

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:46 am

Penfold wrote:Shockingly, I've never got around to fully seeing 'A Woman of Paris', so this seems like a good excuse to set aside some time and do just that. Yes, my shelves are Ikea also....
Don't feel bad - neither have I. I know I taped it off of TCM some time ago. Now to track it down...

I'll have to look a the shelves - of course I got a lot of Pickford silenst I've missed (Sparrows, etc.) for Christmas, but I guess they won't count.

Hmmm...

Ferdinand Von Galitzien

Re: Announcing the 1st Annual "Watch That Movie" N

Unread post by Ferdinand Von Galitzien » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:59 am

Mike Gebert wrote:
We've all got them—movies [...] ... unwatched after all these years [...]
Tst, tst, tst... that's an easy silent film request for this German count, if you keep in your youngsters minds that this Teutonic aristocrat, due to his old age, has seen all silent film prémieres since the beggining of such odd invention, for that reason, unfortunately there will be no new silent discovery for this Herr Graf... anyway, it will be a decadent pleasure for this Herr Von to watch again Herr Dreyer's "Prästänkan".

Ah!!!... This Herr Graf remembers quite well that silent cold prémiere night in Sweden!!... fortunately this time and thanks to the excellent modern disc edition released by "Image" in which Herr David Shepard done an excellent work, this Herr Graf finally will know what happens in the movie...
[...] from our Ikea shelving [...]
Sorry???.

Herr Graf Ferdinand Von Galitzien
http://ferdinandvongalitzien.blogspot.com/

N_Phay

Unread post by N_Phay » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:35 pm

I'll pull out the DVD copy of "Spione" that's been sitting unwatched in my Fritz Lang box set for well over a year. I've never actually seen this one, no idea why I didn't watch it shortly after picking the set up.

rudyfan

Unread post by rudyfan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Hmmm, I guess I will do Lonesome or The Wedding March or The Wonderful Chance. Perhaps one of the Borzage films via Netflix. Better check the queue for silents and see what I come up with there, I'm sure there is something in there I've not seen yet.
http://www.rudolph-valentino.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://nitanaldi.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://www.dorothy-gish.com" target="_blank" target="_blank

T0m M

Unread post by T0m M » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:24 pm

I guess it time to pull the DVD of BLOOD & SAND from my homemade, but Ikea-style, bookcase.

gkoch

Unread post by gkoch » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:09 pm

I'll give my attention to THE DRAGON PAINTER.

dr.giraud

Unread post by dr.giraud » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:41 pm

I've watched all the silents in the Ford at Fox box except FOUR SONS. So I'll watch that.

(To those who said they're going to watch THE LOVE PARADE and RUNNING WILD: You're gonna have fun!)
dr. giraud

Dustin

Unread post by Dustin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:11 pm

I've got a copy of Cenere that I've not watched yet, since it's in Italian. But it's not long, so shouldn't take too much to translate with the help of Babelfish and an Italian-English dictionary. I'll watch it.

Other option would be one of a couple De Mille films I've recorded off TCM but haven't watched, but I'd rather not. I've honestly never seen a De Mille film I've liked and I doubt The Godless Girl or whatever the other one was will be any different.

rollot24

Unread post by rollot24 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:52 pm

The one that's been sitting on my shelf for over two years is a talkie, Rene Clair's LE MILLION. If that doesn't count I'll watch PANDORA'S BOX. Any excuse to watch Brooksie. :wink:

Shaynes3

Unread post by Shaynes3 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:53 pm

Well - I totally missed one of the points in this exercise about the selected film being in your collection for a year, so instead of SAND (which did arrive in time) I'll go with Quality Street (the bonus feature on the Marion Davies documentary DVD from quite a while back!

And I may make it a double feature and give some comments on SAND anyway!
Last edited by Shaynes3 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Haynes

silent-partner

Unread post by silent-partner » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:08 pm

misspickford9 wrote:Luckily for me I dont have the attention span to sit and watch silents sometimes (I like to multitask) so I have a few to pick from :p. Mine will be Gloria Swanson's "Sadie Thompson"...I've been meaning to for awhile now LOL!
Hey misspicky, I have that one too, unopened, just sitting on my shelf!! (not ikea however) Now there are at least two of us that will watch 'Sadie Thompson'.
Have you read Gloria's autobio 'Swanson on Swanson'? That was a damn good read.

BobLipton, your line 'My apologies for being such a bad Nitratevillain' made me laugh out loud.

radiotelefonia

Unread post by radiotelefonia » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:48 pm

For me it was PERDON VIEJITA. I could have rented it in a single store in Buenos Aires more than ten years ago.

And the reason to watch it was both curiosity and and to try to find a way to use the original Vitaphone recording for its 1932 reissue in order to compile a soundtrack.

Harlett O'Dowd

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:11 am

After sifting through an embarrassingly large number of DVD titles, we've settled on DeMille's MANSLAUGHTER.

deverett

Unread post by deverett » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:33 am

Well even though I just got in another 9.5mm Specto that I am dying to take for a spin it probably won't be ready in time so I think it is time to finally watch the 16mm print of HOMECOMING (1928) that has been sitting around my home for some time now. Hope the wife is ready for some good ole Ufa-ction.

Nancy Lorraine

Unread post by Nancy Lorraine » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:34 pm

I'll join in, with my pick of SCARAMOUCHE (1923), which is next on my list of Ingrams that I've taped over the years but not watched yet.

CoffeeDan

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:16 am

I've been sifting through some still-unopened DeMille silents, and settled on the double feature of OLD WIVES FOR NEW and THE WHISPERING CHORUS. (My DVD shelves came from BMG Music Service.)

Jim Reid

Unread post by Jim Reid » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:05 am

Well, I'm working the late shift till 9pm that night and will have out-of-town relatives staying with me. How about if I try to watch as much of the Langdon set as possible?

Christopher Jacobs

Unread post by Christopher Jacobs » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:02 pm

I've got over a couple dozen sound films on DVD that I've never gotten around to watching (finally plan to see John Ford's TOBACCO ROAD for the first time tonight), and lots of silent films I've already seen but have never watched the DVD versions all the way through yet (such as the Ford and Borzage Fox sets, Kino's Griffith sets, and many others I've seen on film at conventions or also own on 16mm).

The only silent film I have on DVD that I have not yet seen in any form is I WAS BORN BUT... (1932) from the silent Ozu set, so I guess that is the one I'll need to watch this Friday night. I'm looking foward to it, as I enjoyed the other two quite a bit.

--Christopher Jacobs
http://www.und.edu/instruct/cjacobs

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:34 am

Two days till... great list of signups! And it will be a great series of posts if everybody follows through even with just a few short lines about the movie they watch-- or longer, if you're like me and Mark ("I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time") Twain.

There's still time to sign up and be eligible for our fabulous prize, courtesy of Kino. So look over your stack of DVDs, your fireproof vault full of nitrate, or whatever you have, and sign up today.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:15 am

I've noticed I haven't looked at 7th HEAVEN and LUCKY STAR on the Borzage sets. Since I haven't seen them in, oh, 15 years, I'll give them a look.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells